Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

OT - Tour de France

Options
Frank from Houma
Frank from Houma Posts: 5,755
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Not a cycle dude but really enjoy watching the replay each evening on Versus.

Enjoy the strategy, the countryside is mightyfine, and aerial shots of Chateaus and churches, etc. are amazing.

Like the announcers as well.

Comments

• PattyO
    PattyO Posts: 883
    Options
    Can you imagine riding in the peloton?
  • Frank from Houma
    Options
    I have a friend at work who does 40 miles every weekend with a group and they will ride 75-100 mile races 4-5 times a year. He says the faster the Peleton is going, the easier it is to cycle/draft if you are in the middle of the pack.

But Patty, I really can't imagine it. :) These guys are in such great shape.
  • Grandpas Grub
    Grandpas Grub Posts: 14,226
    Options

We are watching the Tour de France also. My son is riding for cancer charity in the Lotoja race, 204 miles in 1 day, 9,000' elevation change (3 mountain ranges) ending in Jackson Hole Wyoming.

Other than off road, he has never cycled before 3 or so months ago. Since then he has ridden just over 1000 miles. It is amazing how much wear goes on those bikes and how expensive the bikes are. I can only imagine what the bikes are like for those competitors.

• Gunnar
    Gunnar Posts: 2,307
    Options
    I ride and my wife doesn't. However she enjoys watching for your same reasons. It's getting close with Cadel Evans and Frank Schleck...only three days to take the lead. No passing on the final day..that's all show and parade to bring the winner to Paris. 2200 miles in 21 days...not for the faint of heart(23 days, 2 days of rest).
    LBGE      Katy (Houston) TX
  • Gunnar
    Options
    Hmm guessing...$15k to 20k for starters...and there's a rack of them on the team car.
  • Grandpas Grub
    Options

I wouldn't at all be surprised if they are more than that. The bikes are amazing.

• mad max beyond eggdome
    Options
    i love the tour. . .what those guys do for 3 weeks is beyond incredible. . .and yeah, they drive through beautiful scenery every day. ...best day will be friday when they ride up alp d' huez....one of the most famous, toughest rides on the tour. . .
  • Grandpas Grub
    Options

Do you compete and how long of rides do you do?

• NibbleMeThis
    NibbleMeThis Posts: 2,295
    Options
    I love the Tour. This year has been brutal and tomorrow should be pivotal with three HC climbs.

I'm a cyclist and used the exact same argument to spent an obscene amount of money on a bike that I did for my first Egg - It cost a lot but I'm going to use it every day!

10,000 miles later, I still have the same bike. I wish I'd been logging the hours of use on my Eggs...the "per use" cost makes them totally a bargain! :woohoo:
    Knoxville, TN
    Nibble Me This
  • GirlyEgg
    GirlyEgg Posts: 622
    Options
    I love le tour! I have several friends across the country that we conference each other during the weekend stages and watch together with coffee and croissants...Liggett and Ask Bobke are my favs!
  • Gunnar
    Options
    Saturday group ride averages 60 miles plus...past Monday was 20, tonight was 30. It's Houston we're flat and heat/humidty. Too old to care to compete (50++++), but ride with a few that do. When I get dropped so be it, just hanging in and enjoying it.
  • Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    Options
    Love le Tour. And Phil and Paul. can't stand Pistolero. Don't really care who wins... unless it's Berto.

Hoping for Voeckler (which likely will not happen) or Cadel. A Frenchman has not won the TdF since the Badger. Would love to see Thomas win, but he's a long shot. He's hangin' in, but is not that great at the ITT. Am NOT pulling for the Schlecks and definitely NOT Berto.

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• GirlyEgg
    Options
    Agree about Berto, but would love to see Andy and Frank on the podium in Paris!
  • Grandpas Grub
    Options

Takes a lot of commitment (and time). Congratulations!!!

GG
  • Carolina Q
    Options
    no way!! the schmucks spend way too much time babysitting each other! One of them needs to go for it - and neither WILL!!

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• GirlyEgg
    Options
    At least their name isn't "Hincapie"...the ultimate 'sitter of all time!
  • WeberWho
    WeberWho Posts: 11,025
    Options
    When Lance Armstrong's bike went missing a few years ago they estimated the bike value between $10,000 - $12,000
    "The pig is an amazing animal. You feed a pig an apple and it makes bacon. Let's see Michael Phelps do that" - Jim Gaffigan

Minnesota
  • WeberWho
    WeberWho Posts: 11,025
    Options
    Double post
    "The pig is an amazing animal. You feed a pig an apple and it makes bacon. Let's see Michael Phelps do that" - Jim Gaffigan

Minnesota
  • Bobby-Q
    Bobby-Q Posts: 1,994
    Options
    Hincapie is the ultimate lead man. Lance has said on several occasions that he couldn't have done 7 without him. He still supports him even amid the rumors that were spread.

I hope that Voeckler can hold on for 2 more days and not die in the time trial but I know it is slim. I just can't help but think that if he stays with the big climbers he'll have enough national pride to carry him through the time trial as well.

I've been a huge fan of Le Tour for several years and have watched every minute of the coverage this year. I even won 4 clean bottles this year!!
  • Bobby-Q
    Bobby-Q Posts: 1,994
    Options
    I bet you could find a way to track your EGG hours on mapmyride.com.

I'll look into it and maybe we can "race" lol.
  • Cpt'n Cook
    Cpt'n Cook Posts: 1,917
    Options
    I love the tour too! I watch it every year and it is even better now with my HDTV. Great scenery.
  • smbishop
    smbishop Posts: 3,053
    Options
    Yep, I watch it every year. Get up at 5am and enjoy the show. Love it!
    Southlake, TX and Cowhouse Creek - King, TX.  2 Large, 1 Small and a lot of Eggcessories.
  • Carolina Q
    Options
    Scott, u should move east. Then, you could sleep til 8!! :laugh:

Helluva stage today!!! No way Tommy holds on til Sunday, but I'd LOVE to see it!!! Glad to see Fingerbang GONE!!

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• smbishop
    Options
    I know you are not a Schleck fan, but Andy pulled off a great ride today. Tomorrow should be fun!

I like 5am because it give me some quiet time before the wife and daughters wake up! :laugh:
    Southlake, TX and Cowhouse Creek - King, TX.  2 Large, 1 Small and a lot of Eggcessories.
  • smbishop
    Options
    And I have nothing to base this biased opion on, but maybe Contador decided not to dope this year...
  • Carolina Q
    Options
    the only one i really DON'T want to podium is bert. so after today, I'm good. :)

and, yeah, he may well have avoided the meat and plasticizers this year. chicken only!! :laugh:

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• TheHandleGuy
    Options
    The tour is awesome as usual. I used to road race, um , quite a few years ago. Finally accepted reality and sold my Colnago C40 about 4 years ago. But I never miss the tour.

It drives my wife nuts that I can be glued to the TV for this race. Unbelievably fits guys they are!

Large BGE, Santa Maria Pit, Hasty-Bake Gourmet, MAK One Star Pellet Pooper,  26" Weber, 22" Weber Performer.  Most have custom handles made by me.

http://www.amlwoodart.com

"Just living from one cook to the next"