Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Winter lump supply

Options
BostonButterfly
BostonButterfly Posts: 39
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
As the heat is about to hit stifling here in the Boston area, I began thinking about winter! Can I assume correctly that lump will be hard to come by in the winter? ie..........should I stock up over the summer to last me the winter?

Kim

Comments

• Ripnem
    Ripnem Posts: 5,511
    Options
    That is the case in most of the country. The stuff won't go bad as long as it's kept dry. I've also become accustom to buying lump 2-3 times a year instead of every couple weeks.
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,740
    Options
    i seem to find it north of boston all year but its always good to have a supply on hand.wicked good is always available by the pallet, they distribute out of holyoke and its probably the best deal on price just about anywhere. their pallet store is closed right now though but they should be starting back up later in the summer
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • crghc98
    crghc98 Posts: 1,006
    Options
    eastern coal and Ice in brockton (and a couple other locations), backyard living in Abington (I believe carries wicked good), and Brookline coal and ice carry it year round. Probably some other similar places as well. I think there is a grill store in Weymouth which also carries Wicked Good.

The supermarkets and hardware stores don't around here.
  • crghc98
    Options
    By the way I sent my wife to pick up the charcoal in Brockton....only go during the day...Eastern isn't in the best part of town....I thought she was going to kill me. And they are cash only.
  • BostonButterfly
    Options
    Really Chris? Is the price worth the scary location?
    I'm paying $20 for 22# bag of Wicked Good at the Hingham Fruit Center. I know ****'s Gas Grill in Weymouth carries Humphrey's, but I don't know the price.
  • crghc98
    Options
    I haven't bought from Eastern in awhile. Stocked up on Cowboy when Lowe's had it for $5 a bag and still going through that....

Bass Pro Shops in Foxboro also sells it year round. They carry Frontier. I believe Backyard Living is the same, around 20 for the 22 lb bag.

Eastern was worth the trip though, I'm not sure of the current price. Give them a call...it wasn't a terrible place during the day....also they have a location in Weymouth but I'm not sure where and it may be ice only.

I've been thinking about a pallet from Wicked Good. Long drive to Holyoke though, and gas prices kind of suck, especially in my truck. Though if we had a third in the area I'd be interested in splitting one in the fall if you know anyone.
  • BostonButterfly
    Options
    Chris -
    I know no one who has a BGE, or who uses lump.
    I would be interested in splitting up a pallet. If you find another person interested and decide to give it a go, keep me in mind. Shoot me an email.
    Kim
  • BostonButterfly
    Options
    FYI for anyone in the area: Just called Eastern Ice. $18 for 22# bag of Wicked Good Lump.
  • crghc98
    Options
    not bad....they used to have an old pallet of 11# bags they were giving me for 7.25 a piece, but according to them that was their cost and they were trying to get rid of the smaller bags, and some were a little beat up, and I do think I purchased the last 6 last time I was there....they had told me the price was going up....

I will keep you in mind if I do a pallet run. It would probably be October.
  • Cpt'n Cook
    Cpt'n Cook Posts: 1,917
    Options
    You can order Cowboy at Ace Hardware all year round.
  • Dave Shady
    Dave Shady Posts: 247
    Options
    I just bought 5 pallets of the (in my opnion) good stuff delivered yesterday! It came with 10 eggs of course lol.

I try and keep stock in BGE our best seller at 20$ a bag and we also stock the Fontier/Cowboy for them that liek the 13$ a bag lump. Takes all kinds I just still like the BGE stuff better burns longer in my Egg.

BUT opnions vary :side:
  • Madame Le Oeuf Vert
    Options
    Le Ouef Vert buys lump at Restaurant Depot in Needham, MA
    $9.99 for Royal Oak