Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

pizza on the egg

apollo140140
apollo140140 Posts: 74
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Tried doing pizza on the egg for the first time a couple of weeks ago.
Cooked Papa Murphy's (local Take n Bake) as I didn't have time to make up my own dough and everything

Had the egg at about 450 with Plate Setter legs down

Turned out pretty good except that my crust got pretty dark by the time the toppings were done.

Any suggestions?

Comments

• fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,663
    did you use just the platesetter, platesetter and stone, platesetter stone and a gap between the two. i dont cook pizza at those temps but those three setups have different results
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • just the plate setter, as the pizza stone i thought i had was pretty thin and was worried it would break in the egg.

pizza set on top of plate setter. 450 dome temp. That is what pizza instructions said to cook at in oven.
  • Nole Egger
    Nole Egger Posts: 18
    I would bet that a 450 dome temp is significantly different than the actual temp directly on the platesetter. if you are placing it directly on the platesetter, you are not having any air under and I would be the platesetter is much hotter than the dome temp.

Just my guess, I'm new and haven't even thought about doing pizza yet. ;)
  • fishlessman
    the platesetter alone gets really hot, i think at 450 platesetter and stone would work and as you go hotter add a space, most use the feet. you need a bge stone, most others break. pizza setups need to be experimented with different styles of pizza, thin light toppings can be cooked at nuclear temps, deep dishes at lower temps say 350. easiest thing to do is when you see a pie thats your style thats cooked right, ask the poster what he did, setup, temps etc
    fukahwee maine

• Photo Egg
    Photo Egg Posts: 12,110
    As fishlessman said.
    If you cooked platesetter feet down and put the pizza direct on the platesetter it's going to be a struggle not to burn the bottom of the pizza. You really need a buffer space and then a pizza stone.
    Also important to let the pizza stone come up to temp with your Egg.
    If you don't want to buy a pizza stone buy a couple fire bricks or a cheap wok ring to use as spacers and put your pizza on a pizzas pan resting on the wok ring or some other spacer. The platesetter will get to hot to cook on direct but might be ok with a pizza pan.
    I pulled the parchment paper ater cooking less than 60 seconds.

IMG_0786.jpg

Stainless wok ring as spacer.
    pizza_11Jul01_005.jpg

This is an old grate from a gas stove as spacer.
    IMG_0815.jpg
    IMG_0814.jpg
    Thank you,
    Darian

Galveston Texas
  • Squirtle
    Squirtle Posts: 15
    I usually cook pizza at around 650. The first three or four turn out great. Then the stone keeps heating up and starts to over cook the crust for the rest of the pizzas (I cook around 8 pizzas for people at work). What I do for the last few pizzas is check the bottom of the pizza after about five minutes, when it's right where I want it, I slip a rimless insulated cookie sheet under the pizza until the top is done. This keeps the bottom from burning.
  • tacodawg
    tacodawg Posts: 335
    I did three tonight and the first was the best. wife said cook it a little longer so the second I added two minute and it was well done. Burned on the edges. My fiends wanted to eat the middle but we tossed it. The third was ok. I remember someone saying to wipe the stone with a damp rag now and I forgot to do that. I use my local pizza guys dough at 600. Ten minutes is perfect.
  • tacodawg
    tacodawg Posts: 335
    I cook mine for 10 minutes and pull the paper after 5. I will try pulling sooner.
  • Photo Egg
    Wow was that a hot mess of a day. I will never try that again in the summer. Now Plano might be the place...
    Thanks for the photos.
    Thank you,
    Darian

Galveston Texas
  • Thanks for all the tips. What is the purpose of the parchment paper? just so it doesn't stick?
  • Photo Egg
    I use the parchment paper as a prep pad.
    This way it will slide off the pizza peel onto the pizza stone and will not stick to the peel or the counter top. Many use a bunch of flour or corn meal to help with sticking. This makes a big mess and will burn at higher temps. Really don't like the corn meal taste.
    This is just the way I like to do it, not saying it's the right way. The parchment paper will slide out from under the pizza after a very short time.
    The dough will also stick to the parchment a little as you form it and it will not snap back to a smaller size as easy.
    After you cook a few you will find your style.
    Thank you,
    Darian

Galveston Texas
  • fishlessman
    not a fan of cornmeal, i use the flour lightly. 1200 dome temp, no burnt flour
    100_1535.jpg
    fukahwee maine

• Photo Egg
    Your right. My wording should have been more specific to corn meal burning and flour making a mess.
    But again, this is just the way I have made my last few.
    I do use a wet, sticky dough.
    Thank you,
    Darian

Galveston Texas
  • Photo Egg
    Adam, Zippy's pizza is a great low cost formula.
    Pizza is like all other food, we all like it different so it might not be for everyone but I'm glad he put forth the time and energy to post. I like it.
    Thank you,
    Darian

Galveston Texas
  • Judy Mayberry
    Judy Mayberry Posts: 2,015
    Regarding using flour vs. cornmeal on your peel...don't use either. Use semolina, which acts like little ball bearings and the dough slides around on it!
    Judy in San Diego