Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

New fire grate for Large

Options
Mickey
Mickey Posts: 19,674
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
A few days ago someone posted about this new fire grate from high-que for the large. I ordered one (and ask about the Small and Mini size / answered not at this time).
Got here today (see pic’s). Very nice work and think it should work very well.
No, I have nothing to do with company. Just like it when I see something good looking for the egg.
Kent if this is will not work, you have another one on the way…..
photo-57.jpg
photo-58.jpg
Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

Comments

• Grandpas Grub
    Grandpas Grub Posts: 14,226
    Options

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

I don't suppose I will be seeing this one. Other than allowing a lot of the smaller pieces falling through the grate this should give the TG a real run for it's money.

One thing I have noticed with the TG is that have yet needed to use a wiggle rod, jiggle or rotate the TG. I always seem to have good air flow up through the lump.

Looking forward to hearing how this works for you.

• Photo Egg
    Photo Egg Posts: 12,110
    Options
    I almost pulled the plug on one this morning as well as gasket kit for my XL.
    Let me know how you like it Mickey.
    Thank you,
    Darian

Galveston Texas
  • probe1957
    probe1957 Posts: 222
    Options
    I got mine y(fire grate) esterday. Wasn't motivated enough to install it.
  • Mickey
    Options
    Darian we are leaving for Colorado on Friday so not sure I will get a chance to try it before the end of the month.
    It is 68 there right this second. I am just getting to old for this weather here...
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• Mickey
    Options
    probe1957 it is up to you to post how it worked out please.

• Capt Frank
    Capt Frank Posts: 2,578
    Options
    Yea guys, please let us know :):)
  • sjmh
    sjmh Posts: 13
    Options
    Excuse the ignorance, but what's the TG grate? :)
  • SoDak Wayne
    Options
    I was the one that posted about this grate. We installed it and it works like a champ. If you want every little chuck of charcoal to burn, this isn't for you, 'cause the smaller chunks fall through, thus not clogging up the holes like they seemed to do on the original grate. We love it and wouldn't consider using anything else. The temp goes up quick, gets up to the kind of temps we like for our pizzas, 650+. Don't know what else to say, other than what I've already posted.. Never looking back at the old grate..
  • Photo Egg
    Options
    I hear you.
    When I leave the house for work in the morning at 5am it's still over 80 degrees. That's just not right...
    Have a safe trip Mickey.
    Thank you,
    Darian

Galveston Texas
  • apollo140140
    Options
    As far as the weather that some of you commented on we have had the 80's first thing in the morning for about the last week up here in North Dakota, and as far as I'm concerned you can have it back to yourself.

As far as the grate goes, is there any trouble doing the low and slow cooks with it. Seems like it would let a lot more unrestricted air through then the original, so would maybe be more difficult to keep temps low?
  • Mickey
    Options
    apollo140140 I am with you on that. Not a word posted yet on low and slow. I do not do many low/slow so not on the top of my list. But still would like word on it.

• Mickey
    Options
    sjmh a "TG" looks like something you would hang in a tree to scare birds with. It goes where this is put at the grate and sticks up.
    I gave mine to Kent and he seems to like it so far (for sure he has not passed it on yet). Seems about a 60/40 on liking the TG's on the forum. The people who like them really like them.

• fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,758
    Options
    i made my grate bigger with more holes, it helps low and slows with less ash build up. the low temps are still controlled by the vents. wouldnt worry about it
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • Ripnem
    Ripnem Posts: 5,511
    Options
    Mickey,

You should see the new one that BGE is using as a standard. :ohmy: It's THICK!
  • Grandpas Grub
    Options

TG = TurboGrate

It allows great air flow but seems to use more lump.

turbograte1.jpg

turbograte2.jpg

Had to laugh at Mickey's post... I am probably still using it because I am too lazy to remove it.

GG
  • jbenny
    jbenny Posts: 147
    Options
    I've never had an issue with the standard BGE grate plugging or anything like that. Been perfectly able to do a low and slow and then crank it up to back a pie.
  • Grandpas Grub
    Options

"Never". Do you have a wiggle rod?

GG
  • Grandpas Grub
    Options

What part of Colorado? Are you going to the fest?

Kent
  • Grandpas Grub
    Options

I would have to think that grate would work really well. The only thing I wonder about is the size of the holes in the grate and how much lump/burning lump will pass through the grate.

There has to be a large amount of air being drawn up through the lump bed on the XL.

When I made the air tunnel for the medium & large I was amazed how much of a draw was being pulled through the tunnel. I think I sent you a picture of the tunnel idea.

Kent
  • brisket30
    brisket30 Posts: 122
    Options
    I used the orginal in the egg for the last 4 years with lots of low and slow cooks. I have NEVER had an issue with ash build up or clogged holes durting a cook. I don't use a wiggle rod or any other contracption. Just clean out good before starting a low and slow and dump in the unsorted lump.

Maybe I'm just lucky! :woohoo:
  • BananaChipz
    BananaChipz Posts: 207
    Options
    I've been running one of these for a month now. So far so good.

Airflow never seems to be a problem. I find vent adjustments a bit "different", so that took getting used to. Also, you do get the tiny pieces falling through, but I don't mind at all.
  • Photo Egg
    Options
    I guess my wording was bad. I only need the gasket for my XL but was thinking about the grate for my large.
    I'm sure more smaller lump would drop but it would still burn even sitting in the ash. I have very little if any unburned lump in my Weber using similar grate.
    Looks like a winner.
    I do remember your wind tunnel tubes. Great idea.
    Thank you,
    Darian

Galveston Texas
  • Mickey
    Options
    Kent to the Beaver Creek area on Friday.
    If our deal was a week later the fest would work out.

• Austin  Egghead
    Austin Egghead Posts: 3,966
    Options
    Bring back some of that weather. 68 sounds wonderful. I still wondering where all those hurricanes are. This was supposed to be one of the worse hurricane season according to the national weather service. Even our local weatherman was wishing for a tropical depression to bring in some needed rain.
    Large, small and mini now Egging in Rowlett Tx
  • Grandpas Grub
    Options

With as much water as we have had you are going to be in for a great time.

• Grandpas Grub
    Options

with as open as that great is I don't think the tunnel would do much good. I would expect the grate would work as good as the TG.

A while back there was a post about a competitor to BGE. I went and looked at one glaring difference was the firebox. The grate in the large size was what I recall as seeing in the XL, huge fire grate (floor drain cover). I would like to be able to try a cook on one to see how much difference there would be.

• Grandpas Grub
    Options

Wonder if two layers of expanded metal would work as well. I have read reports that the expanded metal bows down after being exposed to the heat present in the firebox.

• James MB
    James MB Posts: 359
    Options
    Re the expamet bowing - see tnw
    Re the small pieces of lump falling through the open grate - take a look at the double grate mod on TVWB. It consists of two Weber char grates arranged at right angles to form a grid grate, worked well for me on my WSM so should do fine in the egg with the appropriate size grids.
  • Grandpas Grub
    Options

Thanks James, will do.

Hope all is well with you folks.

Kent
  • UPEgger
    UPEgger Posts: 39
    Options
    I have done one packer brisket with the new grate. No problem. This one was for 23hrs with a grill temp of 220F. Being lazy I used the BBQ Guru ProComp 4 and slept soundly. Sure comes up to temp quickly though. UPEgger