Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

12/3/6/9/center????!!!!

Comments

• Photo Egg
    Photo Egg Posts: 12,110
    Very good point. Got to love DP.
    Thank you,
    Darian

Galveston Texas
  • I'm no pyro expert

u sure about that???

any new fire proof cameras lately :whistle:
  • 3-6-9 the goose drank wine ..... wait a minute that is not the question.

I light in two spots on mini and small, and three on my XL when using paper towels.
  • Photo Egg
    I use Lora's camera for all the stunt work. B)
    Plano is getting close. Are you booked?
    Thank you,
    Darian

Galveston Texas
  • Grandpas Grub
    Grandpas Grub Posts: 14,226

Several reasons I light in more than one spot; eliminate the potential for a vertical burn, less hot spots and I seem to burn less lump getting up to cooking temperature.

A few years back when I was testing the gaskets on my medium egg I found lighting in 1 spot as opposed to 2 spots (paper towel & oil) would use more lump getting the egg up to the 600° - 700° range which would also give me a longer burn time with the load of lump.

On the large lighting in one spot, center, I twice had vertical burns.

I find I have less hot spots if I light in multiple places.

Lighting in multiple spots seems to develop the natural air draw through the lump bed better/faster. This seems to get the egg stable a bit quicker.

Starter cubes, I use 3 maybe 4 spots, oil/napkin or alcohol just left and right of center. MAPP/Propane 3 to 4 spots. Like Mickey with the weed burner one single spot which ends up being the entire lump surface.

GG
  • Grandpas Grub

That is a great picture...

GG
  • Canugghead
    Canugghead Posts: 11,452
    Max, interesting topic. My go to mehod is the electric starter, so is that circle of glowing lumps one spot or infinite number of spots B) Seriously, for high heat cook I bury the element deeper and leave it in longer, also stir to spread the red lumps. For low and slow it's shallow and withdrawn sooner, no stirring.
    Gary
    canuckland
  • :ohmy:

:unsure:

not yet!
    been thinking about Hawaii too much!!!

Where are you staying?
  • Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,669
    Kim that was a one time deal. Burnt the hell out of a LawnRanger handle and it cooked off half the lump in that mini before I could close the lid.
    But, I had to see if it would work. It did and seconds to light and in a min to temp...
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• Photo Egg
    Thank you. No arm hair was lost. You can see my thumb nail on the handle in the second photo. The pizza is also on the stone but you can't see it. Turned out great.
    Thank you,
    Darian

Galveston Texas
  • Grandpas Grub

That wasn't my experience. Using oil/paper towel, with the goal of getting the egg to 600° - 700°, lighting left and right of center used less lump than lighting center. The paper towel being 6 or so inches long after the twist.

Using a weed burner was the most efficient and used the least amount of lump.

• Photo Egg
    Not sure. We might just stay at the same place we did last year. Really like the little cafe next door. :laugh:
    Thank you,
    Darian

Galveston Texas
  • crghc98
    crghc98 Posts: 1,006
    Your wrong...I use mapp gas and light in 3 spots. That is the right way to do it, otherwise you are just wasting gas :laugh:
  • NC-CDN
    NC-CDN Posts: 703
    I have a large. I light in only 1 spot or 2. When I light in two it's from taking 1 cube and splitting it in half. I will do either or when doing low'n slow or a high heat cook or anything in between. That's all I ever use. The only time I've used more than 1 is when I was running way behind and need to get the EGG up to temp in less time. Not much less mind you, but less none the less.

I think lighting in 5 spots wouldn't do much for me aside from waste cubes. If I had a torch and it didn't matter and I wanted to cook in 3 minutes then sure, why not. Heck light 10 if you want. I have no problem with 1 cube split or whole getting to temp pretty fast. For a low and slow I would surely not have multiple fires. Just want a nice and slow burn. I can't see how it wouldn't burn more lump. Who knows. Sounds like a science experiment.
  • Grandpas Grub

Took me a bit to identify the thumb nail...

What caused such a flare up?

• EgginTiger
    EgginTiger Posts: 101
    I've tried lighting in 1,2,3 and 4 spots, I have found that for me lighting in 4 spots worx best, and it is with 4 spots that I will stick .....but yur rite, 5 spots seems excessive 2 me :P
  • Photo Egg
    "Lots" of fresh lump?
    Not real sure. This was the first time I have ever been able to get a nice flashback.
    I don't plan on tempting fate with future photos.
    Thank you,
    Darian

Galveston Texas
  • WessB
    WessB Posts: 6,937
    One starter cube in the center...always have, and always will...except on the XL....anymore is just a waste of starter cubes..
  • hi wess, glad i could get you to come out and play.. :)

i'm with you, except for quicker lighting for a t-rex, i've pretty much only lit in one spot....

i'm just not sure where this whole 12/3/6/9/center thing even originated, or who started it. ...i just hate seeing any newbies taking it as the gospel on how to best light an egg...or worse, the only way to light an egg!
  • Mainegg
    Mainegg Posts: 7,787
    I use the weed burner and hit lightly all over, or just the center, daisy off and vent open. let her go a few minutes and shut down to the setting i know will settle into the temp I need. I really do not think about it much.. just lite it LOL
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,657
    maybe i started it with this post, sometimes folks dont see the humor and just read it as fact :laugh:

http://www.eggheadforum.com/index.php?option=com_simpleboard&func=view&id=1122538&catid=1
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • Grandpas Grub

Lucky you didn't drop the dome...
  • Photo Egg
    Had a nice cross wind. Hand did not even get hot.
    It just looked great in photo.
    Thank you,
    Darian

Galveston Texas
  • HungryMan
    HungryMan Posts: 3,470
    I agree with Mickey. One spot with a flame thrower.
  • NC-CDN
    NC-CDN Posts: 703
    mad max beyond eggdome wrote:
    i'm just not sure where this whole 12/3/6/9/center thing even originated,

I'm guessing....a clock. :laugh:

Who knows. People do as they wish. I've done 12 and 6, but not on the edges mind you. I start them between the center and outer edge. No more, no less.
  • Grandpas Grub

Not sure if you have seen this photo or not - Ross in Ventura's experience with flashback.

http://www.eggheadforum.com/index.php?option=com_simpleboard&func=view&id=605463&catid=1

• Ripnem
    Ripnem Posts: 5,511
    Darian,

Me too ;)
  • When I first got my egg tried lighting in only one spot for a couple low and slow pork butt cooks, but the egg burnt out on me overnite.

Now I light in 2 or 3 spots and haven't had a problem since. It does seem to burn through a bit more coal though.
  • what is weed burner?
  • Photo Egg
    I do remember that post.
    Can smell the flesh and hair just by looking at the image.
    I really don't take fire lightly. Having a severe burn is not something I would ever want.
    Taken way to many photos in the burn unit / E.R. in the past. Many events still pop into my head when I see burns on TV and such.
    Thank you,
    Darian

Galveston Texas