Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Has anyone cooked a brisket from SAMs?

OconeeDawg
OconeeDawg Posts: 149
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I am looking for a brisket to cook it will be my first so I want to find a good one. The ones at SAMs look good to me. Thanks

Comments

• Dave in Florida
    Dave in Florida Posts: 1,157
    I bought a Sam's brisket. I just have not had the time to cook it. But they do look really good. I have bought a lot of meat from Sam's and haven't had a bad cook yet. Just got to watch the butchers. Sometimes they don't know what an 1" to 1 1/2" cut of steak looks like.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Welcome to the Swamp.....GO GATORS!!!!
  • c tredwell
    c tredwell Posts: 575
    Now granted, I've only cooked 3 briskets ever, but the one I got from Sam's didn't compare to the one I got at local butcher shop. I'm going to assume OconeeDawg means the lake, or watkinsville....Bentley's in Winder is my butcher, and he does a fantastic job with all of his meat...that is where I go for brisket...But I get all my butts from Sam's...my 2cents- ;)
  • Hoss
    Hoss Posts: 14,600
    Yes.I cooked a 12b pound packer from there Sat/Sun.It was the best one I've ever cooked.
  • grillmandan
    grillmandan Posts: 270
    Sams brisket is untrimed. The price is still good if you know how to trim one. The butcher shops sell them trimed and ready to cook. If you buy Sam's search for instructions on trimming. If you try to cook it whole with the fat head on it comes out to greasy.
  • Kokeman
    Kokeman Posts: 822
    I buy a lot of my meat from Sams and only have had problems with chicken wings. I have gotten a few briskets and have been happy with them.
  • Austex_Egger
    Austex_Egger Posts: 153
    Been smoking Briskets from Sams for about 14 years. Can't really say that I have got a bad one, I always blame the cook when they don't turn out great. Only done 1 on my Egg so far and it was very good.
  • asianflava
    asianflava Posts: 313
    Most of the briskets I've cooked are from Sam's. They've been pretty good.
  • thirdeye
    thirdeye Posts: 7,428
    IMG_0480a.jpg

Sure, I buy about 12 or 15 briskets a year from Sam's Club. If they only have a couple in the case, what you want to do is ask to see 5 or 6, they will just roll a case out on a cart and let you root through it. Then when you pick one, they take it back and print a label.

DSC00687a.jpg

My Sam's used to get them from ibp or Excel (both are large packing houses) and they were graded choice.

e0d61ada.jpg

Now my Sam's carries choice meats from National Beef and it's all branded "Angus".

DSC07774a.jpg
    Happy Trails
    ~thirdeye~

Barbecue is not rocket surgery
  • transversal
    transversal Posts: 719
    No problem with any cuts I've purchased from Sam's.....and the butchers at our local Sams are about as accomodating as any place you can shop. Buy, rest easy, go for it.
  • nuynai
    nuynai Posts: 101
    I'm no meat expert was told that Angus doesn't mean anything, unless it says Certified Angus. 3rdeye, care to give your expert opinion on this. Thanks in advance.
  • asianflava
    asianflava Posts: 313
    Wow $1.36/lb! That's cheap! The cheapest I ever saw was $1.89.
  • ShedFarm
    ShedFarm Posts: 499
    Look at the "Sell By" date on the label. It's from five years ago (6/17/2006), before prices went way up.
    BJ (Powhatan, VA)