Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

First Pizza on The Egg

Options
EddieK76
EddieK76 Posts: 416
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Have had the egg for about 38 hours now....First time making a pizza on it will be tonight any helpful hints and or tips?
Large BGE

Comments

• cookn biker
    cookn biker Posts: 13,407
    Options
    Molly
    Colorado Springs
    "Loney Queen"
    "Respect your fellow human being, treat them fairly, disagree with them honestly, enjoy their friendship, explore your thoughts about one another candidly, work together for a common goal and help one another achieve it."
    Bill Bradley; American hall of fame basketball player, Rhodes scholar, former U.S. Senator from New Jersey
    LBGE, MBGE, SBGE , MiniBGE and a Mini Mini BGE
  • rcplanefan
    rcplanefan Posts: 17
    Options
    Prepare to replace your gasket tomorrow! I made 3 fantastic pizzas on mine last night - had my egg for just over a week. Cooked at ~550 for all three, about 10 minutes each. Gasket smoked.

The hardest part for me was getting the prepared pie onto the egg. I had to have LOTS of cornmeal on the peel to get it to slide off. The first stuck to the peel which made getting it on the egg a mess. My wife was unfortunately trying to help me and bearing the brunt of my frustration. With plenty of cornmeal (EVERYWHERE) under the pie, it should slide off pretty easily. Once it is cooked, it slides right off the stone. I'd also love to hear suggestions on getting the pie onto the egg.

Good luck. Pizza is awesome on the egg.
  • Morro Bay Rich
    Morro Bay Rich Posts: 2,227
    Options
    PARCHMENT PAPER!! Lastnight used it under the pie as it was being prepared and I will never revert to corn meal again. If you try it, you too will become a convert.
  • rcplanefan
    rcplanefan Posts: 17
    Options
    Do you leave it under the pizza while it cooks? Sounds like something I need to try!
  • Capt Frank
    Capt Frank Posts: 2,578
    Options
    I am w/ Rich, I had a couple of disasters on my first few pies, including losing a whole pie into the fire because I couldn;t get it to slide off. Tried parchment paper and have never looked back.
    Build your pie on the paper, leave a little tab of paper sticking out to grab later and put it on the egg. After about three minutes you can pull the parchment out from under the egg easily! :):)
  • loco_engr
    loco_engr Posts: 5,765
    Options
    Some say you can remove it after a few minutes, but have not had any issues leaving it on the entire cook.

Good Luck!
    aka marysvilleksegghead
    Lrg 2008
    mini 2009
    XL 2021 (sold 8/24/23)
    Henny Youngman:
    I said to my wife, 'Where do you want to go for our anniversary?' She said, 'I want to go somewhere I've never been before.' I said, 'Try the kitchen.'
    Bob Hope: When I wake up in the morning, I don’t feel anything until noon, and then it’s time for my nap
  • DanB
    DanB Posts: 44
    Options
    We've had the same problem with sliding a loaded-up crust on and off the peel. The best solution I've found so far is to cook the bare crust for two minutes, then load it up and put it back on. Slides easily that way.

Also, we tried a wooden peel and it was a disaster no matter how much flour we used. Gave up on it and got one that's aluminum, tuned it up a bit after bringing it home, and that works much easier for fresh dough, although it still helps to cook the crust a bit before loading it up.

- dan
  • allsid
    allsid Posts: 492
    Options
    So what is recommended for venting on a Pizza? I did my first recently and had some troubs with burned bottom and raw-ish top. Actually turned out "ok" all things considered, but I love a seared top of the pizza with ingredients well incorporated. Are there any schools of thought on getting the pizza to cook evenly? thanks-
    Proud resident of Missoula, MT
    https://www.facebook.com/GrillingMontana
    http://grillingmontana.com
    https://instagram.com/grillingmontana

Check out my book on Kamado cooking called Exclusively Kamado:
    http://bit.ly/kamadobook