Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Brisket Temp is dropping!

Options
Buckeye Fan
Buckeye Fan Posts: 50
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I hope this is ok but the brisket temp was at 169 and has slowly fallen to 160. The egg gauge has not budged off of 250 for 5 hours. I understand there is some fall back of temp in the plateau range. Just starting to get a little twitchy here about bumping up the temperature. Need a little confidence boost from the great guys on the board.

Buckeye Fan

Comments

• BENTE
    BENTE Posts: 8,337
    Options
    do not touch it now is where the good stuff happens.. not sure what it is but dont touch it.. ;)

happy eggin

TB

Anderson S.C.

"Life is too short to be diplomatic. A man's friends shouldn't mind what he does or says- and those who are not his friends, well, the hell with them. They don't count."

Tyrus Raymond Cobb

• egguitarist
    Options
    had one yesterday that dropped 4 deg at about 8 hours, climbed out of the plateau at the 11 hr mark-15 total
  • Grandpas Grub
    Grandpas Grub Posts: 14,226
    Options

With a stable and unchanging pit temperature, some folks will say it is a myth. Nevertheless, with a stable and unchanging pit temperature both a butt and brisket can have a food temperature drop during the plateau and is a common event. I have seen as little as a few degrees to as much an 11° drop.

The plateau will take a good amount of time before the meat pulls out and climbs to the finish.

Your cook is doing fine, don't make changes and let it cook as it should.

GG
  • Buckeye Fan
    Options
    Just wanted to say thanks for the tips and comments about my first brisket cook yesterday. The temp dropped from 169 down to 159. I asked for help from the forum and I chose to follow everyone's advise to do nothing but wait and after about 3 hours it started to climb through the plateau. I never touch the daisy wheel because it stayed pegged at 250 all day. It was a 6.5 pound flat and it cooked in 9.5 hours. I never peaked until the et-732 said the meat was 190 degrees. It looked totally black and looked like it was very dried out! I was freaked a little but I pulled it at 190. I poured 1 cup of apple cider over the "Texas Meteorite" I read that somewhere yesterday it's supposed to look totally black and it sure was! I then wrapped it in double foil and a beach towel for 2.5 hours. Note to self... I should have poured at least 2 cups of warm apple cider over the meat. It combined with the juices that came out of the meat while it rested and made a great tasting au jus (sp).

The meat sliced very easy it did look a little dry not much though. The au jus was perfect, poured it over the sliced meat and everyone raved about the flavor. By the way I used 3 chunks of pecan wood and 1 hickory chunk. I guess what I am trying to say is follow the advise of the many people willing to help on this forum. I came about 5 minutes away, when the temp fell to 159, from increasing the temp of the cook which may have ruined the whole thing. Forgot to take pictures and meant to do that to. God I love this forum!!

Buckeye Fan
  • Grandpas Grub
    Grandpas Grub Posts: 14,226
    Options
    Sounds like a great cook. At some point in time you need to post some pictures.

GG