Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Burnt Cobbler; how to modify?

Options
Eggducator
Eggducator Posts: 16
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
So I tried the peach cobbler recipe from the manual and had the temp at 400 for 40 minutes with the plate setter in. Because I'm using a small BGE, the plate setter was upside down (the cast iron pot won't fit otherwise).

Although the cobbler was tasty, the outer layer of it was burned. So how should I modify this next time? Slightly lower temperature and longer time in the egg?

Comments

• NibbleMeThis
    Options
    This is hilarious. Alexis is trying her first cobbler in a dutch oven right now and we just checked it 45 minutes in. We had the DO lid on and it looks like the bottom is going to be burned before the top is done.
    We'll be following this thread for answers too.

We should have gone indirect and without the lid I'm guessing, but we have only tried this camping using briquettes on top and bottom of the DO. Live and learn;)
    Knoxville, TN
    Nibble Me This
  • Richard Fl
    Richard Fl Posts: 8,297
    Options
    Concur lower and slower. 350=375. Also did you have spacers between the plate setter and the DO?

Mango cobbler

100_1164.jpg
  • Eggducator
    Options
    No, I didn't put any spacers in but I've got them. I should check the temp of the plate setter (I've got an IR thermometer).
  • Wilco76
    Wilco76 Posts: 18
    Options
    Richard-
    It looks like you cook your cobbler in Pyrex. I am about to do that as well. I have indirect setup feet down at 375ish. Do I need to put the Egg feet under the dish or straight on plate setter?

Thanks for any advice...
    John