Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

charcoal to top of fire box

Options
cooljan
cooljan Posts: 3
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I am trying to set the egg up to smoke pork shoulders for pulled pork. I have done this once before and the recipe says to fill the fire box with charcoal and then put the place setter on legs up. My question is do you fill it up to the first line which would then leave about 5 inches between the charcoal and the plate setter or do you fill it up to the next line which would leave virtually no space between the charcoal and the plate setter. I just can't remember. Thanks for any help someone could give me.

Jan

Comments

• mad max beyond eggdome
    Options
    fill it halfway up the fire ring . . .that way it will be about 1 - 2 inches below the platesetter set feet up. . .it will burn plenty long to cook an egg full of pork shoulders. ...
  • brisket30
    brisket30 Posts: 122
    Options
    I fill mine up to the top of the fire box and have had no troubles holding temps. That's normally even with the bottom side of the fire ring or about 2 - 4 inches below the plate setter. I normally light the lump in numerous places like 12, 3, 6 , 9 oclock and center, let it get about 300 or so then put the place setter in with the grate to stablize.
  • Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    Options
    i've never been too precise. top of firebox, maybe a little higher. plenty for a 20+ hour 250° cook.

BEFORE...
    5346233419_0630309807_b.jpg

AFTER...
    5346843202_2b9d6c4589_b.jpg

AFTER STIRRING to get rid of the ash...
    5346232857_3e67a0cd6c_b.jpg

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• PhilsGrill
    PhilsGrill Posts: 2,256
    Options
    Like others have said, fill it full to about 1 inch from the top of the fire ring and you will be fine. You just don't want to run out.