Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

further tenderize pulled pork ??

Options
LoisLane
LoisLane Posts: 94
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Once a pork butt has been cooked and pulled, can we do anything to tenderize it further ?

We have a pork butt already pulled that I got out of the freezer & we had some for dinner last night. Was purchased from a fund raiser (before we bought our own egg). Taste/ rub is fabulous and has great smokey smell / taste. Just is not as tender as we are used to from our nbor's Traeger or from what we know eggs / kamado's can do. We think the cooking process maybe got rushed just a little, as they were cooking lots & lots of butts that weekend.

So, should I put it in the crock pot this weekend w/ some BBQ sauce for a long while on low ? Will that help tenderize it a bit ?

If I put it back on the egg, will it dry out- since it has already been pulled ? Or OK to put on the egg for a while w/ some sauce marinating it ? Just put in a dutch oven or foil pan - uncovered ??

Or is this just how it is for this time and we shouldn't try to mess with it ?

Comments

• Grand Oeuf Vert
    Grand Oeuf Vert Posts: 1,631
    Options
    You can try re-heating it on the BGE (covered), with a cup or so of Coca-cola in the bottom of the pan to refresh it. I've done this in the past and it worked well.
  • gdenby
    gdenby Posts: 6,239
    Options
    If it is already pulled, and has been frozen, there is a double chance of the PP getting drier. And if the meat was pulled a little too soon, there should be a little collagen yet to break down.

What I do to re-heat stored PP is just drop it in its freezer bag into the slow cooker on "keep warm," which holds it at 145F. With what you have, I'd think a slightly higher temperature, maybe 160, to complete the collagen gelatinization would be better.

In this vein, a few months ago I found Ziploc vacuum bags at the market. There is a little plastic hand pump, and some heavier duty bags with a vacuum port. They come in qt. and gal. sizes. They work great for storage and heating in the slow cooker. There's little chance any of the flavor is lost to the water bath, and anything that renders out is prime for sauce/gravy.
  • LoisLane
    Options
    Even if we are Diet Coke drinkers, I presume we would want full strength / sweet / regular coke for this, correct ?

I have used regular coke b4 to glaze a ham in the oven in years past, so I do know from experience to plan on using a disposable pan ! :blink:
  • LoisLane
    Options
    Thanks much for this info. Will look for the ziploc vac bags. We have an actual vacuum sealer at home, but I forget to use it (tucked away in pantry - not sure if I still have any bags for it at the moment).

So, you still put water in the crock pot (say a cup ? or two ?) and then put sealed bag in, right ? And do you release the vacuum a little, to make room for extra pork juices ?
  • SmokeyPitt
    SmokeyPitt Posts: 10,490
    Options
    I would just heat it in the crock pot with some vinegar based sauce (or just some cider vin). If you want a thicker, sweeter sauce, I would put add that later (just heat until the sauce is warm).

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

• gdenby
    gdenby Posts: 6,239
    Options
    Enough water to cover the bag, and no release. The volume stays the same, but some of the fluid will come out of the meat.
  • RGBHV
    RGBHV Posts: 1,318
    Options
    Thanks for your post LoisLane... I have a similar question so I hope that you don't mind if I tag along with your post.

I'm planning a party for July 23rd and would like to serve some pulled pork. I thought I could make a batch this weekend, freeze it, and then re-heat it for the party.

My questions;

-what are the " best practices" to pull the pork, freeze it and re-heat it later?

- Should I prepare the pulled pork a certain way before freezing it?
    - add sauce, don't add sauce, add cola, don't add cola, etc.
    - will a regular zip lock bag do or should I vacuum seal?

- After thawing, should I prepare the PP a certain way before re-heating?

- for reheating, is there a preferred method to reheat?
    - should the reheating be done in the oven, the egg, or slow cooker?

- is it best to sauce the PP before or after freezing?

I'm certainly use any advice . direction forum members can provide.

Thanks,

Michael
  • crghc98
    crghc98 Posts: 1,006
    Options
    for large amounts I pull, vacuum bag, freeze, then reheat in a pan with either coca cola or apple juice covered in foil....

I stay at a fairly low temp and reheat slowly so the sugars don't burn on the bottom of the pan...

or skip the foil and do it on the egg, maybe adding a little more smoke.
  • AustinTX-Egger
    Options
    We cater several charity BBQ's down here, and depending on the event we make some things in advance. Here are my answers to your questions:

-what are the " best practices" to pull the pork, freeze it and re-heat it later?
    Can be done either way, but I like to pull it after a normal resting period and before freezing.

- Should I prepare the pulled pork a certain way before freezing it?
    Same as always. I don't short cook it and then expect the reheating to bring it the rest of the way

- add sauce, don't add sauce, add cola, don't add cola, etc.
    We add some of our sauce prior to freezing.

- will a regular zip lock bag do or should I vacuum seal?
    Vacuum sealing works great (if you have one). After it is sealed press the bag flat on a table and lay the bag in the freezer. Once it's frozen they are easily stacked.

- After thawing, should I prepare the PP a certain way before re-heating?
    - for reheating, is there a preferred method to reheat?

A pot of hot water - not boiling. Place the sealed bags with the factory seal side down and ensure they are fully covered. Never place them with heat seal down, or better said, never pull the bag out heat seal down. Made a nice pot of PP stew when the heat seal gave way!

- should the reheating be done in the oven, the egg, or slow cooker?
    Slow cooker or pot of water, depending on volume. We typically do 30-40 people cooks when we do it this way so larger pots work best for us.

- is it best to sauce the PP before or after freezing?
    Yes! Part before hand helps aid transfer of heat when reheating. We add the remainder to taste afterwards. We cut and empty the bags into our chaffing dishes, stir them up a bit to coat them and serve.

We have done it successfully other ways as well, but found that this way maximizes storage space and makes the reheating process very simple, which is important for large cooks.

Hope this helps
  • RGBHV
    Options
    Thank you - the apple juice sounds interesting.

Michael
  • RGBHV
    Options
    Thank you.

The only way I have done it was; rest, pull, sauce, serve.

As I know that I need to add a couple of steps, I'd like to make sure that I do the best I can.

Michael
  • LoisLane
    Options
    Glad you joined in- your question goes well w/ mine & I got to see the relevant responses. Good luck with / have fun at your shin-dig on the 23rd.
  • LoisLane
    Options
    We didn't have any Coke on hand, so ended up egging half in apple juice and half in a bit of vinegar based BBQ sauce to see the difference... both covered in foil.

The apple juice definitely made the pork more tender - thanks for a great idea Chris !! (I always need extra potassium, so that is an extra plus for me too, w/ using the apple juice.)