Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Proper way to load BGE for low n slow?

Options
golfguy
golfguy Posts: 105
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Happy Wednesday Eggheads,

What is the proper technique to load a large BGE for a low n slow cook? I just thought dumping the lump up to the bottom of the fire ring would be sufficient. I have seen many references of a right way to do it, just no specifics...

Thanks guys,

Adam

Comments

• HungryMan
    HungryMan Posts: 3,470
    Options
    You pretty much nailed it. I make sure the ash is cleaned out pretty good. Add fresh lump to the top of the fire ring and start it. Pretty simple. I imagine there is a much more complicated way to do it, but I don't know what it is.
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,757
    Options
    i just dump it in but if i see some big pieces i put them in the bottom on the grate. fill halfway up the ring and have never had a problem
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • Ripnem
    Ripnem Posts: 5,511
    Options
    Hey Adam,

I'm a golf guy too. ;) For an overnight, I try and get a few good sized chunks of lump on the fire grate to try and keep the ash from choking the fire early in the cook. I will mix in the smoking wood of choice and fill the lump up into the fire ring space, maybe halfway. You just want a nice mix of medium and smaller pieces to make up the pile, so that air will pass though easily and the fire can travel from lump to lump via contact.

Always plan on a couple pokes with the wiggle rod to get the ash to fall through and not choke things up.
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,757
    Options
    what, you dont sift out the dust, sort all the pieces out by size and place every piece in like a puzzle to maximize how much lump you can get in there. light in 3 places and only in three places 12 oclock 4 and 8 :laugh:
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • Ripnem
    Options
    No man! Are you crazy?

2 Places. and make them off to the side and toward the front. :laugh:
  • HungryMan
    Options
    You just mad my point. That was funny. You are one that really adds good stuff to the forum.
  • golfguy
    Options
    Ok. Sift, sort, size, puzzle, light...

I need index cards....

:)
  • HungryMan
    Options
    Do anything except what Ripnem says. He always calls me with egg problems. He also cheats with his golf game.
  • Ripnem
    Options
    So either you are hoarding the donuts at your desk or the box is empty. :P

Go shoot some bad guys! :whistle:
  • gdenby
    gdenby Posts: 6,239
    Options
    Oops, I've been using 2, 6 & 10.
  • golfguy
    Options
    HungryMan wrote:
    Do anything except what Ripnem says. He always calls me with egg problems. He also cheats with his golf game.

I hope this is a false allegation, Ripnem. B)
  • NC-CDN
    NC-CDN Posts: 703
    Options
    I'm a golf guy too. Just got the Ping G15 driver. Was going to go with the 910 D2 or the R11, but saved some bank and so far so good. Bombs and straight. Granted I think I fixed my swing with the driver I think.

Oh wait, this wasn't about golf.....I just dump and light after cleaning out the ash. 1 place or 2, it never matters for me. I do use the Guru as well. There was a time when I would pile it a certain way and so on, but didn't see a difference. I do light it in a certain place usually closer to my vent at about 5 o'clock. Guess it depends on the orientation of the egg. My vent sits around 5 o'clock. Make sure you guys account for the declination as well.
  • jaymag_87
    jaymag_87 Posts: 111
    Options
    I have read about the method of sorting the lump by size and hand-placing all the pieces in, but I just stir up the old, dump in the new and light it up. So far, I haven't had any problems with my method.
  • FSM-Meatball
    FSM-Meatball Posts: 215
    Options
    Airflow, Airflow, Airflow.

Think about Airflow while you load the lump. You don't need to be an anal retentive puzzle builder, but I have found that using the largest pieces I have at the very bottom (fist sized), then medium pieces on top up to the top of the fire ring works well. I just try to avoid the grape-sized and smaller pieces, they just clog the holes.