Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Sauce Recipe to Share...

Options
jeffinsgf
jeffinsgf Posts: 1,259
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Hey gang, haven't been around much. New job has me on the internet 8 hours a day, so I don't really feel like surfing much when I get home!

I tried a recipe from an episode of Bobby Flay's "Grill It" that is worthy of sharing. See here: http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/bobby-flay/argentinean-skewers-with-sherry-vinegar-steak-sauce-and-grilled-scallions-recipe/index.html

Forget the marinade...the editors left out the acid, and it sucks...BUT...the Sherry Vinegar Steak Sauce is out of this world. It saved the steak skewers and then we had it tonight in and on burgers. Great flavor.

Comments

• Judy Mayberry
    Judy Mayberry Posts: 2,015
    Options
    Sounds delicious! What did you use for piquillo peppers? I live near the Mexican border but have never heard of that variety. What's a good substitute?
    Judy in San Diego
  • Austin  Egghead
    Austin Egghead Posts: 3,966
    Options
    Judy,
    Piquillo (little beak) peppers are from Spain. They are becoming quite popular here of late. My cousin goes to Spain every year and she stocks our pepper cabinet for us.
    They are a mildly warm, almost sweet pepper that is roasted and then packed in their juices. They make a great substitution for sweet bell peppers. I have seen them at Whole Wallet, World Market, and Randalls (a Safeway grocery store).
    Large, small and mini now Egging in Rowlett Tx
  • jzcc
    jzcc Posts: 123
    Options
    I've seen several recipes lately which include sherry vinegar, but haven't been able to find it. Any suggestions?
  • Judy Mayberry
    Judy Mayberry Posts: 2,015
    Options
    Is there a Whole Foods market near you?
    Judy in San Diego
  • Austin  Egghead
    Austin Egghead Posts: 3,966
    Options
    You should be able to find Sherry at any good liquor store. I don't buy the expensive stuff I usually pay between 10 and 20 dollars.
    If you like to grill onions, then try a dollop of sherry right at the end. Really make the grilled onions come to life. Don't EVER purchase cooking sherry :sick: it is a waste of $. Store your unused sherry in the frig.
    Large, small and mini now Egging in Rowlett Tx
  • Gulfcoastguy
    Gulfcoastguy Posts: 6,304
    Options
    Hey Jeff I put up some fig based BBque sauce, works great on tenderloin.
  • jeffinsgf
    jeffinsgf Posts: 1,259
    Options
    Sorry it took me a while to get back to this thread.

Judy...BRAKES!!!!! Sherry is NOT sherry vinegar. I agree with you that a recipe calling for sherry needs good (or reasonably good) sherry, but a recipe that calls for sherry vinegar will not come out right with sherry.

Sherry vinegar, like the piquillo peppers, is a Spanish ingredient. My favorite place for this stuff is http://www.tienda.com/ ...good prices for the real stuff and good selection from reasonable to outrageously expensive (see the Serrano hams).

The piquillo peppers are becoming easier to find, and like Austin said, they're a jarred, roasted pepper packed in brine or oil. I can find them, but they come and go and aren't in the market that's most convenient to my house. I subbed a Greek roasted red pepper that I could find. Any roasted jarred sweet red pepper will work. Alternatively, you could roast and peel a really good sweet pepper, too. If all you can find is a red bell, keep looking or go for the jarred. Bells are to peppers as yellow mustard is to condiments...pedestrian at best. Hey, some days I'm a pedestrian, and I eat a lot of yellow mustard, but if you're going to invest the time to make this sauce, look for an above average pepper and good sherry vinegar.