Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

grinding my own burgers

Zyme
Zyme Posts: 180
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Hi Guys,
first time try here:
going to buy some Select Chuck pot roast, cut into strips and grind it.
then, season it, add some cooked mushrooms and roasted peeled green chilis and mix it up.
Then that mix gets ground a second time prior to making patties.

How does that sound? I'm sure people have done this sort of thing on this forum but couldn't find it easily by searching.

I want to keep the beef 85/15 or so, but cut down on how much beef just a little since I'm trying to watch my weight. I imagine that too much mushroom/chili will make it hard to keep everything together.

Thanks in advance and have a great weekend.

Comments

• Lit
    Lit Posts: 9,053
    I do 50/50 chuck roast and tri tip in my burgers. Mix it up and make the patties. I don't grind it again just leave teh chunks of whatever I add. Don't forget an egg or 2 to help it stick together.
  • Zyme
    worked like a charm!!! used 40 oz of beef pot roast; I only cut out the grisle.
    6 oz of roasted and peeled chilis
    4 oz grilled onions
    5 oz of cooked mushrooms (sauteed in worsteshire sauce)
    3 tbsp of Worsteshire sauce
    2 tbsp dijon mustard
    2 eggs, whole
    2 tbsp chopped fresh cilantro
    3 garlic cloves, pressed

(Sorry--we're really low salt--I would recommend if you like salt to add some.)

The second grind might not have been totally necessary but it worked. Again, with the diet I did some portion control: 4 oz of mix per patty. Patties did have some trouble holding together but with care I could get em flipped and off. (CI grill at 450F, dome)

Had one patty with some fat free cheese in a whole wheat pita with dill chips, fresh tomato, mustard. Only 6 Weight Watchers points plus and it was damn tasty!

GroundMeat.jpg
  • Zyme
    oh, and yes--that's my wedding ring on the counter. I hate the thought of hand mixing ground beef and making patties with it on. I just don't want to lose it!!! :laugh: