Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

First time using a large egg: what to make?

vonbonds
vonbonds Posts: 22
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Hello all,

I finally got a large BGE today but it was raining buckets in southeastern PA so I didn't get a chance to play with it yet. I have a whole chicken and some chicken thighs as my first possible choices to cook first. Does anyone have any suggestions for something simple to make or good first time recipes? I have never cooked on a non-gas grill in my life so I am hoping I can keep the temperature consistent and where I want it.

Thanks..

Tom

Comments

• Dave in Florida
    Dave in Florida Posts: 1,157
    Ribeye Steaks are a good choice. Also be sure to try pizza. You will not call for delivery again. I have found many great recipes on this forum and so many very helpful people. I also use to be a gas griller and the wife has said my cooking has really stepped up since getting my BGE. I'll never be back to a gas grill. Good luck with the first cook.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Welcome to the Swamp.....GO GATORS!!!!
  • Hoss
    Hoss Posts: 14,600
    Learn with chicken.It is cheap.There is a learning curve,a short one,but it exists.Cook a few cheap things first til you learn temp management.As your confidence and methods progress,move up.If there is something special you want to cook go to the search forum first.If you do not find satisfactory guidelines there just ask.A bunch of Eggheads are willing and waiting to give advice.MAINLY.No matter what you cook,cook it to internal temp,not by time.Get yourself a GOOD instant read thermometer.It will save more food than it costs in just a few cooks.Good luck! ;)
  • Austin  Egghead
    Austin Egghead Posts: 3,966
    Do what Hoss says and you won't go wrong. Welcome and sniff around the forum, lots of recipes, advice and just plain fun. Remember pictures of cooks required :)
    Large, small and mini now Egging in Rowlett Tx
  • vonbonds
    Thanks for the advice, I figured chicken would be a good starting point. Tomorrow my journey begins!
  • WokOnMedium
    WokOnMedium Posts: 1,376
    And you won't sleep a wink tonight.... like tomorrow is Christmas and you're six!
  • dsmith
    dsmith Posts: 147
    I've been egging since last December and was in your same shoes. I sold my gas grill a couple of weeks back because it became pointless after using the Egg. I had not even turned it on.

I agree with chicken. There are a lot of good tips and I have learned A TON on this forum.

Definitely cook to internal temp. (Chicken breasts to 160F...in fact 'tis what I had for dinner tonight). You need to swallow hard and buy a Thermapen. They are expensive but it reads your meat temp in about a second. $90 for a thermometer was hard for me to swallow but it is not a decision I have regretted even once.

Have fun with your new hobby. You know something is amiss when I'm teaching my wife how to cook! Literally, my friend, cooking on the egg is eggdicting for sure. Every time we eat off it out next question is, "What can we cook next?"
  • vonbonds
    No kidding...I am 39 years old and I haven't been this excited buying a car before!
  • vonbonds
    I told my wife about the Thermapen and she gave me a look with a snarl. I will get it....just after I wow her with some food for a bit..LOL.
  • tacodawg
    tacodawg Posts: 335
    I would have to agree with those that have replied already. Chicken if you like chicken. There are lots of great recipes, read the directions a coulple times to make sure you know if it is an indirect cook or direct cook. It will only get better every time you cook. Very addicting. Try one of your old favorite recipes but cook to temp like everyone says.. so much better that to time. Then try ribs or pulled pork if you like pork..or pork tenderloin. It's all better on the Egg
  • mxdad
    mxdad Posts: 47
    I agree go with the chicken. My first cook was a couple of weeks ago on the Egg. I went with a whole chicken, did the spatchcock method to butterfly the bird. A little seasoning, 350 indirect until 180 Internal and it was great
  • dsmith
    dsmith Posts: 147
    Oohhhh! I forgot about pork tenderloin. That is one of our favorite meals. You can learn about brining at the following link. It really helps with the tenderloin.

http://www.cookshack.com/brining-101

Again, have fun!
  • WokOnMedium
    WokOnMedium Posts: 1,376
    You could be cooking a batch of wings right now! :laugh: :silly: :side: :woohoo:
  • Grandpas Grub
    Grandpas Grub Posts: 14,226

Congratulations Tom. What a hard decision, Most all of these are pretty simple to do.

Novice griller or not it really doesn't matter. Cook the food to temperature and use time only as a guide.

I purchased many gassers, smokers, water smokers, grills than I want to admit. I, like probably everyone else on the forum, only have one complaint. I sure wish I knew about the Big Green Egg earlier in life.

Every one of the cooks below are simple. A better question is why not get an egg.

Enjoy

GG

Fajita.jpg

egghfham4.jpg

egghfham2.jpg

eggcioppinob.jpg

primerib.jpg

primeribcut.jpg

blackncatntroutplate.jpg

1stcookonsmall.jpg

chili2.jpg

doroast6.jpg

chocolatecake.jpg

omletpineapple.jpg

pizza.jpg

chick500.jpg

chick400.jpg

chickspud5.jpg

ribs1.jpg

abread2.jpg

abread3.jpg

breadchocchip4.jpg

bge_lge_snow.jpg

turkey0812.jpg

beefrib3done.jpg

bbloin3.jpg

barbacoaburrito1.jpg

barbacoasalad3.jpg

cornpotato.jpg

corn2_400.jpg

packer6.jpg

packer8_flat_closeup.jpg

chicken3.jpg

chickenwhitesau2.jpg

chicken1plug3rdeyeplug.jpg

brats.jpg

bratstuffpepper.jpg

bratsonionpepper.jpg

tunamelt_1.jpg

tunamelt_2.jpg

tunamelt_3.jpg

ribswet1.jpg

hamdelicut.jpg

09turkey1.jpg

oldyeast3.jpg

ham4.jpg

charsui2.jpg

charsui4.jpg

sausage_summer.jpg

chiliverde.jpg

pastrami-burger.jpg

chicksalad1.jpg

potroastpb1.jpg

potroastpb3.jpg

potroastpb4.jpg

samoanchick.jpg

1104snowbrats3.jpg

brats.jpg

pepperncheese1.jpg

poblanoncheese2.jpg
  • My wife complained about the cost of the Thermapen too. Bought it any way. Now she is wearing that thing out and agrees it was a fantastic purchase. She loves it, as do I. Buy one, you won't regret it.
  • Jai-Bo
    Jai-Bo Posts: 584
    1st grill easy would be burgers or dogs, chicken would be second choice. Welcome to the family and folks on here are great and will share knowledge with you in a second! B)
    Hunting-Fishing-Cookin' on my EGG! Nothing else compares!