Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

smoked turkey recipe

Options
Wisconsinegghead
Wisconsinegghead Posts: 77
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
helping a fellow egghead with his first smoked turkey. Anyone have any good recipes I can give him?

We currently have it brining, just need some advise for the smoking process.

Comments

• Hoss
    Hoss Posts: 14,600
    Options
    Go EASY on the smokewood.Lotsa folks think the lump itself is enough.At least use MILD wood.Cook it til it's done.NOT overdone.
  • Wisconsinegghead
    Options
    should I put any rub on the skin at all or just go from the brine to the egg?
  • Hoss
    Hoss Posts: 14,600
    Options
    There are MANY,MANY methods to cookin turkey.Most folks put rub UNDER the skin.I put mine on indirect,300-350 dome with a drip pan underneath with a little liquid in the pan and cook it til it's 175 in the thigh and 165 in the breast.Some ice the breasts before the cook so it cooks slower,some cut the legs and thighs off so they can cook to different internal temps.Try the search forum.You will find a lot of advice better than mine.The EASIEST is spatchcocked/Butterflied.Cut out the backbone,mash it flat and let her go.Seasonings/injections are personal preference.I do not brine but I do inject with butter and apple juice then apply a rub under and over the skin cook .Turkey is cheap so it is fun to eggspriment with.
  • WokOnMedium
    WokOnMedium Posts: 1,376
    Options
    What are you planning to use it for? For dinner, light smoke, light seasoning, maybe some nice thyme or sage.

For cold sandwiches I'm a sucker for a smokey flavored turkey with a good punch of seasoning, Any rub you love for poultry or even something Cajun or bbq-y. I've done that a few times for graduation sandwiches or to feed folks milling around for a weekend. I usually smoke those with a good dose of cherry and Apple wood. Slow smoked to lady it on good.

Just a matter of preference.