Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

It's 9pm - Do You Know What your Butts Are Doing?

Options
Gfw
Gfw Posts: 1,598
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
PP01-15-2000-01.jpg
<p />Just placed these 2 butts on the BGE - each weighs in at about 5lbs - dinner should be good tomorrow - better if I can find a local distributer of Chimay Ale............

Comments

• King-O-Coals
    Options
    Gfw, mine is safely tucked inside my egg which is currently, and hopefully will remain all night, at 200 degs. My Polder thermometer, deep inside the butt is registering 147 degrees. Tomorrow before noon it will emerge.

• Gfw
    Options
    King-O-Coals, Life is GOOD! Mine is registering (by my new wireless thermometer) 71.2 degrees and should be ready about 5pm tomorrow - Good luck! If I knew where you lived I'd be over for lunch. Have a great evening.[p]PS - I've got the wireless set for minimum/maximum temps - if the grill goes out and the internal drops below 70 - the beeper goes off.

• King-O-Coals
    Options
    Gfw, that's a great idea. I am walking the fence concerning whether to buy the wireless remote, solely due to the inability to monitor egg temps. But with dual probes and one set to watch minimum temps, that may work for me. The temp usually tries to creap down at night when I'm sleeping anyway. Truthfully, the most important thing to monitor at night is the egg temp because we know how long to keep the meat in if the cooking temp stays where we want it. I wish you could stop by. Guru and I have slowed to a crawl. We have so far consumed nearly a case of Donald Duck Grapefruit(large cans), 2 half gallons of vodka, a quart of oysters, 5 skinny steaks, three slabs of ribs, two pizzas, assorted side dishes that our clean-up women threw together, and are looking forward to steak biscuits tomorrow morning and the grand entry of our butt at dinner. We're getting too old for this. Please help us.

• Char-Woody
    Char-Woody Posts: 2,642
    Options
    King-O-Coals, Check out your backside for wings..I think you died and went to heaven!! (kidding of course) C~W[p]
  • Gfw
    Options
    PP01-16-2000-03.jpg
    <p />At 7am this morning, the butts had an internal temp of 131.2 according to my wireless thermometer - I'm in my office upstairs and the BGE is on the deck.

• Smokin' Todd
    Smokin' Todd Posts: 1,104
    Options
    Gfw,
    how much did u pay for that wireless thermometer?..and where did u get it?
    ST

• Gfw
    Options
    Smokin' Todd, the price was $69 plus $10 for shipping - extra probes (wire portion only) are $10 each. Check out the link below and you'll find a picture and links to their website - Rich Sharpe (president) is an easy person to deal with. Let me know if you have any additional questions.[p]BTW - When I talked to Rich last week he said that they are going to redesign and simplify the unit. You may want to wait for version #2.[p]
    [ul][li]Wireless Thermometer[/ul]
  • Tim M
    Tim M Posts: 2,410
    Options
    Gfw,
    Glad to see you got the Nu-Temp<A HREF="http://www.c21virginia.com/ebay/bbq.htm"&gt; wireless thermometer at work. I guess you got a replacement probe, any story to that? [p]I am doing a turkey tonight and while it only needs to cook for 2+ hours, I will be able to monitor the internal temp from my office too. Good luck with the Butts.[p]Tim