Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Pig Leg

Options
davidig
davidig Posts: 10
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
So my friend was a helping out at this pig cook off and was given an entire back leg of a heritage pig. I would say it weighs about 10 pounds. he had no room for it so now i have it.

I could use some advice on how to cook this thing. Im not sure if i should go low and slow, put it on a roisterer or braise it? Any advice would be great.
thanks
David

Comments

• James MB
    James MB Posts: 359
    Options
    I'm amazed you didn't get a reply.
    fwiw I've slow cooked leg just like shoulder (butt), though there's not so much fat and connective tissue to reduce and I haven't tried one as big as that.
    Leg is very good roast too.
    At that size you could cut it in half and do two cooks and see which you like best!
  • Bacchus
    Bacchus Posts: 6,019
    Options
    If it weighs 10lbs, it must include at least the lower portion of the ham. Ham is the rear quarter of swine, typically divided into 2 sections upper/lower, similar to how a shoulder is divided into butt/picnic. You could cure it for a traditional "ham", or smoke it for pulled pork. Or for that matter cook it however you please including the afrementioned braising.