Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

deckle on a brisket

Options
cherokeer
cherokeer Posts: 45
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I just bought a brisket with a deckle. Is the deckle the point used for burnt ends? Thanks.

Comments

• loco_engr
    loco_engr Posts: 5,765
    Options
    Any chance of a pic?
    aka marysvilleksegghead
    Lrg 2008
    mini 2009
    XL 2021 (sold 8/24/23)
    Henny Youngman:
    I said to my wife, 'Where do you want to go for our anniversary?' She said, 'I want to go somewhere I've never been before.' I said, 'Try the kitchen.'
    Bob Hope: When I wake up in the morning, I don’t feel anything until noon, and then it’s time for my nap
  • thirdeye
    thirdeye Posts: 7,428
    Options
    No, the deckle is a mixture of hard fat & cartilage. The label should read "Whole Brisket, Deckle Off". I suppose you could have the deckle still on if it was processed by a smaller plant, but it's weird enough looking that most cutters would remove it anyways.

For some reason some folks do refer to the point as the deckle, but it's not. The point is the forward end of the brisket (that's sometimes why the old hands call it the "nose") and the deckle is trimmed from the inside face (the side opposite the fat cap, which is the outside face).
    Happy Trails
    ~thirdeye~

Barbecue is not rocket surgery
  • cherokeer
    Options
    I still have it in the packaging so I can't get a good picture. However It actually says whole brisket with deckle.
  • thirdeye
    Options
    brisket101copy.jpg

No problem, 5 minutes with a knife with a thin blade and a sharp point (I use a 6" fillet knife) and you will have it all cleaned up. Looking through the seasoning, here is what you are shooting for after trimming the inside face. After you get the deckle off, the biggest and heaviest chunk of fat you will see is called the kernel and it's at the intersection of the point and the flat. I just trim it flush, and some folks will cut a "V" wedge of fat out of it. Be careful, if you remove too much, the point will try and shrink away from the flat during the cook.

DSC07778a.jpg

Here is a good shot showing the kernel.

DSC07781a.jpg
    Happy Trails
    ~thirdeye~

• cherokeer
    Options
    Thanks. That's why this site is so good. Experts like you helping novices like me. Much appreciated.
  • thirdeye
    Options
    You ever hear the definition of expert??
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    an EX is a has been, and a SPURT is a drip under pressure. Hehehehee.
    Happy Trails
    ~thirdeye~

• tnels
    tnels Posts: 75
    Options
    Thanks for the tutorial. I just experienced my local butcher calling the point the deckle last week when I asked for an untrimmed brisket with a large point.
  • Gator Bait
    Gator Bait Posts: 5,244
    Options

love0029.gif love0029.gif love0029.gif love0029.gif love0029.gif love0029.gif

Great reply thirdeye!

love0029.giflove0029.giflove0029.giflove0029.giflove0029.gif love0029.gif

Blair