Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

BGE Table - What would you do differently

Options
Tigerjam
Tigerjam Posts: 10
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I'm planning a new BGE Table and for all you who've built your own -- what would you do differently -- what would you add or subtract?

Comments

• dubah
    dubah Posts: 60
    Options
    I built a table for my large from plans on the Naked Whiz site, about 2 yrs. ago.
    If I had the forethought I might have built it bigger, to accommodate the next Egg I'm thinking about getting. :)
  • DanB
    DanB Posts: 44
    Options
    Didn't build my own, but I've done a few mods to one I bought.

I'd add enough space to put stuff on both sides. It turns into a bit of a puzzle to reconfigure an AR from indirect to direct with only enough heat-resistant tabletop to hold the AR itself, when I already have a few plates, sauce, tongs and other stuff sitting there. I'd like at least two feet on both sides of the Egg; more would be better.

- dan
  • Rafter R
    Rafter R Posts: 120
    Options
    I just finished mine. Made it w/ red oak. It is pretty but I think another type of would would be easier to work w/. and it is one HEAVY dude w/ the egg in it. But stable is good. Cut your own wood so you know the cuts are square and proper length. I paid a "cutting" fee and did not get square cuts and some boards were a little short. So I had some re-engineering along the way to compensate.

http://www.eggheadforum.com/index.php?option=com_simpleboard&func=view&id=1117324&catid=13

if you go w/ wheels add some type of actual handle for the lifting end. It will make it easier to grip and pick up. the naked whiz plans are a great start. I altered the slate and went with firebrick under my egg. IF you have the time and do not mind spending a little extra ... build one out of cheaper lumber like regular decking wood, then after you are done and actual thionk of things you wish you had done ...build one out of a nicer hardwood and make the changes you think about while making the original.

just my thoughts.

Happy Fourth!!
  • Kokeman
    Kokeman Posts: 822
    Options
    I extended the the top 2x4s to make a handle, added a drawer and an umbrella holder.
    IMG_8192.jpg
    IMG_8193.jpg
  • benny
    benny Posts: 109
    Options
    my table is "benny" on naked whiz site. Im currently making a new table for my xl.

I would make the table about a ft longer on the left side, and maybe another foot on the other. i would make the top solid instead of slats. its hard to keep clean.

i would use granite under the egg, you can get scrap from a counter/granite place. I like how i eggstended the granite under the egg all the way to the front to allow easy cleaning of ash.

My new table is being made of aluminum 2x4 powder coated bronze to match mypatio furn. with a solid granite top. easy to clean, and maintain.
  • benny
    benny Posts: 109
    Options
    i wouldnt put wheels under it unless you plan to move it often. ive move mine twice in seven years.
  • tennvol
    tennvol Posts: 15
    Options
    New egger here and have not built a table. But based on what I've seen - I would be looking for more enclosed storage space.
  • Angela
    Angela Posts: 543
    Options
    1 don't use pine

2 better sealant

I didn't make those decisions though, the hubby did as he made it.
    Egging on two larges + 36" Blackstone griddle
  • PattyO
    PattyO Posts: 883
    Options
    I got the BGE table from my BGE table. I don't know what it's made of but I HATE it. It did not weather well, totally discolored in less than a year, I am replacing it with a big stainless corner setup from Southern Specialties.
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    What would I do differently? Nothing! I built a 4'-0" version of TNW table and have since added "improvements".
    One of the most significant was adding heavy duty casters to the end without wheels - This is the only thing I wish I had done when I originally built it.

An extremely helpful addition was the drop leaf on one end. I don't always need the extra room but now I have it when I need it. It would've been better to have included it originally so the wood color would match better. Over time the top deck is weathering differently due to the fact that it catches more dirt.d-leaf-1.jpg

Platesetter holder below the lower deck
    p-set.jpg

Raised Grid and spider hanger below top deck
    r-grid.jpg

Added Umbrella receptacle
    umbrella.jpg
    I take the market umbrella out of our dining table and pop it into the Egg table.
  • reader40
    reader40 Posts: 69
    Options
    I just got my egg back in maybe february or march and bought some standard 3' x 6' poplar peices of wood from menards...5/4" thick. I was going to try and buy random peices, glued together and basically try and make a homemade butcher block counter top but then realized i would have to buy a decent amount of tools, which would have been fine until i told the wife...and wanted to get the stupid thing done so i could get rolling with egging.

I think this summer i am going to leave the wood around the grill and replace the majority of it with a concrete counter top...at least give it a whirl as i might try and do that in the kitchen...or maybe have a removeable section to put a cutting board or something ot that effect in there.

other wise i am pretty happy with the naked whiz's plans but wow are there come more ingenious people on here with their custom creations. Every now and again i find some nice ones on ebay...rough cut cottonwood with like a 50 to 1 sealer on it that look really sharp.
  • woody's wood pit
    Options
    was C.S.Lewis an egghead? Now thats scarry....

Rockwall Texas, just east of Dallas where the humidity and heat meet! Life is too short to get caught in the fast lane behind somebody slow!

XL, LG, Sm, Mini and Weber for drink holder

• Hoss
    Hoss Posts: 14,600
    Options
    Make sure it is an OPEN FRONT table so you don't have to lift the egg out of it.With an open front you can just slide it out. ;)