Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Stoker for XL...5 or 10cfm fan?

dsmith
dsmith Posts: 147
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I see on Rock's website the recommended fan for the XL is the 10cfm. The rec. package is priced at about $325 but you can buy the 5/5cfm dual system package for $340. The only reason I would do that is to get the extra fan as I currenly only have one Egg. I just want to make sure the 5cfm fan would actually do the trick.

Any input from you with Stokers and an XL?

Comments

• BobinFla
    BobinFla Posts: 363
    The 5 CFM fan will work fine. I have a Smoker thats volume is almost twice that of the XLBGE, and even the 4 CFM fan works well in it.

Remember, your Egg is almost completely sealed and in reality, when your fire is burning you aren't pushing much more than 1-1/2 to 2 Cubic Feet per Minute. That's a lot of air going through that small opening in the top, even in the Extra Large Egg.

BOB
  • dsmith
    dsmith Posts: 147
    That is kind of what I was guessing although this is an area totally new to me. Let's face it, my Egg is stitting about 225F as I type with no forced air. My main reason for getting a Stoker is so I can go to sleep with no worries of large temp swings. (it is now 1am and I am heading that way)

Is there really any reason to drop $325 on a single 10cfm package vs. $265 for a single 5cfm with the XL adapter? Sounds kind of like a no-brainer since I only have the one Egg anyhow.
  • BobinFla
    BobinFla Posts: 363
    I'll tell ya what. Buy the 5 CFM package. If you think that the 5 CFM fan isn't large enough, I will buy it from you since I am in need of another fan. You can then buy just the 10 CFM fan and add it to your set-up.

Deal? ;)

BOB
  • Avocados
    Avocados Posts: 465
    I've got 3 of the 5cfm blowers and one stoker has had no problem controlling my 3 large eggs at once along with 6 meat probes. The blower only 'puffs' on lightly for 4 or 5 seconds once each minute or two while maintaining the large at a steady 225 so an XL egg should need anything larger.
  • bubba tim
    bubba tim Posts: 3,216
    I have 3 gurus and all have 10 cfm blowers. I use it on Med and Lrg with no issues.
    SEE YOU IN FLORIDA, March 14th and 15th 2014 http://www.sunshinestateeggfest.com You must master temp, smoke, and time to achive moisture, taste, and texture! Visit www.bubbatim.com for BRISKET HELP
  • egganator
    egganator Posts: 18
    I use the 5 on my XL with success at temps lower than 300, which is most of the time. The 10 cfm package seems to cycle on and off more than the 5 does.