Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Some recent grilling & baking

Options
R2Egg2Q
R2Egg2Q Posts: 2,136
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Thought I'd share some cooking from about a week ago to last night.

First cook on my Mini

It'll never look so clean again:
IMG_8340.jpg

Cooked up some chicken quarters rubbed in Simply Marvelous Sweet Seduction (received a test sample) rub:
IMG_8385.jpg
IMG_8427.jpg

Reverse Sear Tri-Tip & dessert on my Small:

IMG_8451.jpg
IMG_8466.jpg
IMG_8478.jpg
IMG_8482.jpg
IMG_8483.jpg

"Natural" Reverse Sear Tri-Tip (Rub Co Santa Maria & Original rubs):

Although I ate tri-tip leftovers for the last few days the marbling on this 100 % natural, no antibiotics, no hormones added, vegetarian fed, Angus beef called out to me:

IMG_8487.jpg

This was my first try of this brand of meat.

Brushed with some olive oil and rubbed:
IMG_8496.jpg

Cooked indirect around 300 on the XL Egg until internal temp hit about 125, removed the cooking grate & plate setter and gained access to a really hot (about 580 degrees) cast iron grate that had been hanging out below on a triangle hanger just a couple inches above the lump. Seared for only 60-75 seconds per side:

IMG_8544.jpg

After about an 8 minute rest:

IMG_8545.jpg

Sliced thin across the grain:
IMG_8547.jpg
IMG_8553.jpg

Thanks for looking.
XL, Large, Small, Mini Eggs, Shirley Fabrication 24x36 Patio, Humphrey's Weekender, Karubecue C-60, MAK 1-Star General, Hasty Bake Gourmet, Santa Maria Grill, Webers: 14" WSM, 22.5" OTG, 22.5" Kettle Premium, WGA Charcoal, Summit S-620 NG

Bay Area, CA

Comments

• tacodawg
    tacodawg Posts: 335
    Options
    John it all looks great but you definitely do not need any more practice. I have been doing by Tri Tip Rich's way so this is the exact opposite?? Slo cook in the beginning and then sear at the end. Something to try. How do you like your new small?
  • redsrage
    redsrage Posts: 16
    Options
  • R2Egg2Q
    Options
    Thanks Tim!

Yes, I cook my tri-tips opposite of Rich's method.

I do this for a few reasons:

1 - I cook on an XL and with all that lump fired up it takes too long to cool down after searing for my liking. Admittedly, I'm not that patient. :blink: I hear the Large is more responsive to lowering temps.

2 - I can put a cast iron grate in before the plate setter and when the time comes to sear, I just remove the plate setter and the CI grate is already heated up.

3 - I believe reverse searing provides a more uniform doneness in the meat than searing first but I haven't exactly done my own side by side test to prove it.

The downside with a reverse sear is you can easily shoot past your target temp finishing at a searing heat and go from a target of medium rare to medium well just by searing a couple minutes too long.

I will say I did try Rich's tri tip at the Eggfest last year and it was excellent.

I think you mean my new Mini (my Small is a year old). I've only had the one cook on it so far but it seems like it'll be a nice little Egg for trips or instances when I want to do a little grilling in a hurry. I'll probably look into a Mini Woo ring so I can do some indirect or raised direct cooking on it. Actually my wife has claimed it as "hers" but I doubt she'll seriously use it as she prefers to let me handle the Q. :)
    XL, Large, Small, Mini Eggs, Shirley Fabrication 24x36 Patio, Humphrey's Weekender, Karubecue C-60, MAK 1-Star General, Hasty Bake Gourmet, Santa Maria Grill, Webers: 14" WSM, 22.5" OTG, 22.5" Kettle Premium, WGA Charcoal, Summit S-620 NG

Bay Area, CA
  • R2Egg2Q
    Options
    :laugh: Thx!

Bay Area, CA