Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Wagyu Steak, and Black-n-Bleu Burgers

Options
Botch
Botch Posts: 15,491
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
My butcher started carrying Wagyu beef. It was only a couple dollars more per pound than the ribeye I was planning to pick up, so I gave it a try.
Raw, it looked beautiful:
_DSC0010-1.jpg
I brought my Egg up to 600 degrees and grilled it 2 minutes per side, with Jack Daniels woodchips for smoke. Served with tossed salad, sliced tomatoes, and grilled sweetcorn. (forgot to get a pic of the cooked steak)
It was... meh. It cooked perfectly, dark crust on the outside and dark pink throughout, but it tasted only okay and was just a tad tough. Wonder what went wrong... :S

Gotta share this sweetcorn spread with you that I tried, however (think I posted it earlier):
2 Tblspns mayo
1 tsp minced chipotle
1 tsp honey
1 tsp lime juice
heavy pinch of salt
Mix together, and keep cold until read to serve. It was excellent on sweetcorn, and the mayo really tames the heat of the chile (this recipe is very similar to what I use on smoked salmon).

While buying the steak I also noticed they had "black-n-bleu" burgers, patties with bleu cheese mixed in and quite a bit of black pepper on top, picked up a couple of these too.
_DSC0008-2.jpg
Grilled up fine:
_DSC0009-1.jpg
They were good, but not great. I also need to learn to make thinner burgers, buns, etc; I can't get my mouth around half the stuff I've made lately... :huh:

Tin soldiers and Johnson's coming...

Comments

• Manfred
    Manfred Posts: 186
    Options
    You always have tomorrow to try again. Thats what makes it so much fun :laugh:
  • Hoss
    Hoss Posts: 14,600
    Options
    Mexican street corn,good stuff for a change.IMHO,you still can't beat roasted corn smothered in butta,salt and peppa.
  • Fletch 'n Teggxas
    Options
    The burger looks like the perfect size: almost too big to handle. Or you just may need to get a bigger mouth!! :laugh:
  • CrazyHarry
    CrazyHarry Posts: 112
    Options
    Do you always use wood chips with steak? Tried that with my first rib eyes and thought they tasted kind of nasty. My theory is that at the higher temps the wood chips didnt smolder they just burned and I got bad smoke instead of good smoke. But I'm still new so you probably know more about this than me.

(Cooked some wagyu beef on my old weber and thought they were awesome. Cant wait to try some on my Egg.)
  • FLbobecu
    FLbobecu Posts: 309
    Options
    When you say your steak was "meh" - what exactly do you mean? Was it tough, dry, overcooked, etc.?
  • ShedFarm
    ShedFarm Posts: 499
    Options
    What cut of beef is that? Wagyu is usually a lot more than just a few bucks more, so I have to wonder if you got an expensive, cheap cut of beef, like a Denver steak. Denver steaks have a lot of marbling, but you still have to marinade them.
    BJ (Powhatan, VA)
  • Botch
    Options
    Fletch'nTeggxas wrote:
    Or you just may need to get a bigger mouth!! :laugh:
    I polled my friends and coworkers today, they all disagree with you. :laugh:

• Botch
    Options
    FLbobecu wrote:
    When you say your steak was "meh" - what exactly do you mean? Was it tough, dry, overcooked, etc.?
    It wasn't tough, dry, or overcooked; it just wasn't tasty, compared to the ribeyes I've done so far... Don't know what I'd do different...

• Botch
    Options
    ShedFarm wrote:
    What cut of beef is that? Wagyu is usually a lot more than just a few bucks more, so I have to wonder if you got an expensive, cheap cut of beef, like a Denver steak.
    I expected Wagyu to be a lot more expensive too, you may be right; it would also explain why I was a bit underwhelmed... :unsure: