Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Looking for THE BEST baked bean recipe!

Wisconsinegghead
Wisconsinegghead Posts: 77
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I am looking for the BEST bean recipe out there. Any ideas? Is it worth making them from scratch, or should I just doctor up a can of Bush's and toss them on the egg?

I'd like to make them from scratch if anyone has a great recipe they'd like to share.

Thanks!

Comments

• I've got a killer recipe for them from my mother, but it's not a quick prep.

Stand by and I'll find/post it. Actually now that I re-read it and think back it's not that much prep.
  • outrageous
    outrageous Posts: 803
    whatever you decide...put some apple pie filling in them...also i use maple syrup and mustard in mine.. i just doctor up the bush's beans in can and put everything else in... do not forget the onions. too

Large egg and mini max egg plus a Blackstone griddle

South Ga. cooking fool !!!!!!!!

• Ingredients;

4 slices bacon(I use more)
    1/2 cup of chopped onion
    2 16 ounce cans of pork and beans
    2 Tablespoons brown sugar
    1 Tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
    1 teaspoon of prepared mustard

Cook bacon until crisp and drain, reserving 2 Tablespoons of drippings in the skillet. Cook onions in reserved drippings until tender. Crumble bacon. Add crumbled bacon and cooked onion to all other ingredients in a mixing bowl and mix well.

Bake UNCOVERED in a 1-1/2 casserole dish at 325 for 1.5-1.75 hours.

The time and temp is for oven cooking, but I don't know why you would need to change it for egging.
  • loco_engr
    loco_engr Posts: 5,759
    These are now our favorite, thanks to
    Tom from Eagle Rub that served them at OKC 2011:

Eagle Rub Baked Beans

Ingredients

1 (one) 28 oz can of Bush’s Original Baked Beans

3 strips of bacon

3/4 cup un-packed brown sugar

1 cup ketchup

1 tbsp yellow mustard

1/2 medium onion (I like sweet Vidalia - any will do)

1/2 medium bell pepper

2 tsp Eagle Rub All Purpose Seasoning

Cut the bacon into very small pieces. Fry it until it starts to get crisp. Chop up the

onion and pepper very fine. Add the onion and pepper to the bacon (do not drain the fat).

Brown the onions and peppers until very done - like fajita onions and peppers. In a large

pot, combine the rest: beans, brown sugar, ketchup, mustard, and Eagle Rub. Add the bacon,

onion and pepper mixture to the pot. Cook the beans on medium high for about 15 minutes

until they get hot throughout, stirring frequently (make sure they don't burn on the

bottom). Turn to the lowest setting you have and let simmer. I like to simmer them for

about 3 hrs. They also cook very good in a crock pot on low or even warm if you have that

setting. Remember, make sure they are not cooking to hot or the bottom will burn! Whether

cooking them in a crock pot or on the stove, don't cover them, the condensation is not

good. Just double or triple the recipe depending on how much you want. Enjoy!

I have added app. 1 Cup of pulled pork.

HTH
    aka marysvilleksegghead
    Lrg 2008
    mini 2009
    XL 2021 (sold 8/24/23)
    Henny Youngman:
    I said to my wife, 'Where do you want to go for our anniversary?' She said, 'I want to go somewhere I've never been before.' I said, 'Try the kitchen.'
    Bob Hope: When I wake up in the morning, I don’t feel anything until noon, and then it’s time for my nap
  • JCinNV
    JCinNV Posts: 141
    Look in the search forum for "Keri's-Apple Baked Beans" making some for a party tomorrow, they go over real well, usally gone, ;)
  • Slick
    Slick Posts: 382
    Keri's hog apple beans. Hands down. If you want less sweet, rinse apples from the pie filling.
  • Grandpas Grub
    Grandpas Grub Posts: 14,226

There is a sweet bean and a tangy bean.

Keri's and the like are a sweet recipe - good flavor.

I am looking for a good tangy flavor recipe.

GG
  • Richard Fl
    Richard Fl Posts: 8,297
    This might help!

Beans, Baked, Canned, BBQ, Tangy Pit Beans

This bean recipe is from a bbq place (small chain actually) called the 17th Street Bar and Grill in Southern IL. I pulled it from the St. Louis paper awhile back. They are awesome! ********Warning this recipe makes a ton and could easily serve 16-20.

INGREDIENTS:
    2 Tbs prepared yellow mustard
    2 1/3 cups ketchup
    1 cup diced onion
    1 green or red bell pepper, seeded and diced
    1 1/2 cups packed brown sugar
    1/2 cup sorghum or honey
    1-1 1/2 Tbs Magic Dust (see recipe below)
    1 28 Ozs Can Pork and beans
    1 16 Ozs Can Chili-seasoned beans
    1 16 Ozs Can Large red kidney beans, drained and rinsed
    1 16 Ozs Can Butter beans, drained and rinsed
    1 16 Ozs Can Other beans of your choice, drained and rinsed
    4-5 Slices Cooked bacon or a small amount of barbecued meat (such as pulled pork)
    Magic Dust
    1 Tbs paprika
    1 1/2 tsp kosher salt, finely ground (see note)
    1 1/2 tsp granulated sugar
    3/4 tsp dry mustard (see note)
    1 1/2 tsp chili powder
    1 1/2 tsp ground cumin
    3/4 tsp ground black pepper (see note)
    1 1/2 tsp garlic powder
    3/4 tsp ground red (cayenne) pepper

Procedure:
    1 Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
    2 In a large bowl, mix mustard, ketchup, onion, bell pepper, brown sugar, sorghum or honey and Magic Dust; stir until no lumps of brown sugar remain. Fold in beans, mixing gently.
    3 Pour into a 9-by-13-inch baking dish that is at least 2 3/4 inches deep. (A shallower dish will overflow in the oven.) Distribute meat over beans; cover with foil. Bake 45 minutes, then remove foil and bake 15 minutes or until bubbly.
    4 (Leftover beans reheat well and may be frozen.)
    Magic Dust
    1 Combine all ingredients and stir well. Store in an airtight container.
    2 Note: Coarse kosher salt can be ground with a mortar and pestle or in a small bowl with the back of a spoon. For a spicier mixture, double the amounts of dry mustard and black pepper.
    3 Enjoy!
    4 David

Yield: 16-20 Servings

Recipe Type
    Side Dish

Recipe Source
    Source: BGE Forum, Nosnow2ski, 2008/02/22
  • Grandpas Grub

Thanks Richard, I will give this a try. Hope you are having a good weekend.

Kent
  • PattyO
    PattyO Posts: 883
    I do not open cans. Here is my recipe.
    BAKED BEANS

Soak overnight l LB great northern dried beans. Do not use limas. Drain water and pick out stones. Boil beans, large onion, bones, and meat (opt.) add salt, 1/2 C brown sugar, 1 C ketchup to taste. Boil until beans get soft. Adjust taste. Beans will not yet be red. Keep tasting and adding brown sugar and ketchup. Remove meat when it is done. Remove bones and onion. put beans in baking dish and bake at 350'
    You will end up with using over a cup of brown sugar and 2 Cups of ketchup.
    Keep adding reserved liquid until beans are soft. You can use strips of bacon on top. If you freeze the beans, add any remaining liquid to container.

And another one
    Boston Baked Beans

The beans can be made ahead. After cooking, cool them to room temperature and refrigerate in an airtight container for up to 4 days.
    • 4 ounces salt pork , trimmed of rind and cut into 1/2-inch cubes
    • 2 ounces bacon (2 slices), cut into 1/4-inch pieces
    • 1 medium onion , chopped fine
    • 1/2 cup mild molasses
    • 1 tablespoon mild molasses
    • 1 1/2 tablespoons brown mustard
    • 1 pound dried small white beans (about 2 cups), rinsed and picked over
    • Table salt
    • 1 teaspoon cider vinegar
    • Ground black pepper

Adjust oven rack to lower-middle position; heat oven to 300 degrees. Add salt pork and bacon to 8-quart Dutch oven; cook over medium heat, stirring occasionally, until lightly browned and most fat is rendered, about 7 minutes. Add onion and continue to cook, stirring occasionally, until onion is softened, about 8 minutes. Add 1/2 cup molasses, mustard, beans, 1 1/4 teaspoons salt, and 9 cups water; increase heat to medium-high and bring to boil. Cover pot and set in oven. Bake until beans are tender, about 4 hours, stirring once after 2 hours. Remove lid and continue to bake until liquid has thickened to syrupy consistency, 1 to 1 1/2 hours longer. Remove beans from oven; stir in remaining tablespoon of molasses, vinegar, and additional salt and pepper to taste. Serve.
  • BobinFla
    BobinFla Posts: 363
    The next time you try Keri's recipe, try using PEACH pie filling instead of the Apple. Or Cherry Pie filling!

All 3 versions are FANTASTIC.

BOB
  • Hoss
    Hoss Posts: 14,600
    Heat up some doctored Bush's.Can't be beat! ;)
  • Kew_el_steve
    Kew_el_steve Posts: 354
    I have some killer recipes for baked beans, and you will think that I'm nuts until you try it, but the new line of Bush's Grill'in Beans can't be beat. No doctoring needed. I like Texas Ranchero. I think that there are 6 or so different concoctions, but no doctoring needed. A truly quality product. Try it... B);)
  • Grandpas Grub

Bush beans are, uh, terrible to ok at best. I'll give the Texas Ranchero's a try but my expectation is not real high.

Nothing like a good home made bean recipe on the egg.

• Rolling Egg
    Rolling Egg Posts: 1,995
    Don't know if they are the best in the world, but I just ate some of those apple pie baked beans and they were MIGHTY FINE!!!!