Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Need advice on storing BBQ Pork

Options
jasperga
jasperga Posts: 21
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
OK -- I've done the top half of a Boston Butt (pictures of my first low and slow effort coming!)

So now I will have about 4 pounds of BBQ pork that I have to store for future consumption.

I would like some suggestions for storing (freezing, I guess) and then resurrecting for another meal. What if any liquid should I use to "freshen it up" the next time?

By the way, cook is going great -- Stoker functioning perfectly -- can't wait to see the outcome -- like I said pictures coming.

I feel so proud I didn't sneak even one peek

Comments

• RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,898
    Options
    after I pull it I package it in Food Saver pint size bags. For us a solid packed 1/2 cup of pp per sandwich is just perfect. Reheating can either be done in that bag, or opened and mixed with a variety of things! As the saying goes that's a whole 'nother story!
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • ChokeOnSmoke
    ChokeOnSmoke Posts: 1,942
    Options
    I use a Food Saver to package (1 lb. each bag) and freeze. I put the juices from the foil into the package before I seal it up. Then all you need to do when you want to eat it is pull out of the freezer and boil the whole package 15-20 minutes. It tastes just like when you took it off the Egg!
    Packerland, Wisconsin

• wkygriller
    wkygriller Posts: 408
    Options
    We always put the pork in the food saver with a little juice from the cook. We seal enough for a meal for 2 people. Reheat in the microwave or boiling water. We typically use the leftover meat in things like enchiladas or ABT'S.
  • guzzijason
    guzzijason Posts: 143
    Options
    I'll fourth the Food Saver recommendation. Boil in bag to reheat (I don't own a microwave) and its just as good as the day it was frozen.

I na pinch, you can use regular ziplock bags, a straw, and your lungs to do an adhoc vaccuum pack - I did that a lot before I got the Food Saver machine.

__Jason
  • Elde
    Elde Posts: 148
    Options
    Vac seal and freeze. Since my pulled pork invariably becomes Lexington Style BBQ - I just re moisten with Lexington Style 'dip'.