Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Temp Question - using ribs as example

Options
toomsdpt
toomsdpt Posts: 141
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Did some ribs this passed wknd. Came out pretty good, but I have had better results with tenderness

Have a complex question, so I apologize for the wordiness.

When I did the ribs this wknd, I got my egg (med) going and got it to 350. Once it hit 350 I put plate setter on. Temp dropped right down to about 250. Once I got stabliszed at 250 for a good period of time, I put the Ribs on.

Once I put the Ribs on, I always notice a drop in Temp as well- similar to when you put plate setter on. It went down to about 210.

Here is where I never know what I should do in terms of getting the temp right. In this case I opened the wheel and door just a bit so I could reach 250 again.

But, I wonder when I do that if the Temp is really higher, maybe 300 - or more.

I know the plate setter and the ribs being in the egg really do affect the temp.

I am just confused if I can rely on the Therm. being correct when the ribs and plate setter are in there.

Before the plate setter is on, should I get the egg to 250, then put plate setter on. I always put the plate setter on at 350 now, because I know that will cause the temp to drop.

Confused egger, need help?

Comments

• brisket30
    brisket30 Posts: 122
    Options
    I never adjust the temp once I put the meat on. I get it stabilized with everything but the meat and then put the meat on and leave it. It will return to normal temp pretty quickly from my experience.
  • Doug in Eggmonton
    Options
    Your plan to get to 350 then add the plate setter and set the egg for 250 should work well. Once you have set it to 250 don't change it when you add the meat, the egg will get back to the right temperature soon enough. Alternatively put the setter once the egg is lit then once the egg gets close to 250 set it to 250 and wait for stability. Then you will not need to change the settings for the whole cook.

Doug
  • Frank from Houma
    Options
    I stabilize at 250 with the platesetter in

Obviously the temp goes down when you add cold mass, but remember you had a 250 fire and it is still a 250 fire. The dome temp will return over time - don't adjust the vents. If you start messin with the vents you will end up chasing temps.

Good luck with it
  • Chief Chef
    Chief Chef Posts: 199
    Options
    I favor stabilizing the temperature with the indirect method (platesetter, spider/stone, ...) already in place. I do not adjust the vents after the meat goes on.
  • gdenby
    gdenby Posts: 6,239
    Options
    The short answer is as mention. Put everything in except the food, and stabilize your temperature there. When the food is put in, there will be a smaller temperature drop, and the recovery will usually be within 30 minutes.

Assuming the thermometer is calibrated, it gives you a good reading for where it is. But, because the food is being cooked elsewhere, it only sort of indicates what the cooking environment is. People who use remote therms, and automated air blowers will report very different temperatures at the grill level.

Early on, I did some measurements with a Maverick remote grill therm. In the center of the grill at the raised level, with a direct set-up, the grill therm read 350 with the dome at 250. With an indirect set up, and same therm set up, the grill was 225 when the dome was 250. It stayed lower than the dome temperature for more than 4 hours. With a big hunk of meat in the grill, and the therm off to the side, the temp was 210.

A few weeks ago, I did another experiment. I put a pie pan with a specific amount of water in it on a raised grill, direct. After 30 minutes with the dome at 250, the water was over 170F. I change the set up so that there was an empty drip pan under the pie pan. When the temp was back to 250, I waited 1/2 hour, and found the water at just 150, and the empty pan at 190. I swapped again, and put the plate setter in. Had to wait 45 minutes before the dome came back up. At the 1/2 hr. point, the water was 155. The platesetter, according to my IR thermometer, was 375. So, the hot mass of the platesetter was making the grill level just slightly warmer than a simple pan, but a lot cooler than direct. In all cases, the dome was 250.

I tried one other thing. I put the same volume of veg. oil in the pan, and placed it direct at the raised level. After 1/2 hour, it was 210F. So, the water pans evaporation was cooling it somewhat. So, the nature of what is placed on the grill also has a lot to do with how hot it gets.

With enough use, you will get to the point where an occasional temp check of the food will let you know a lot about how the cook is going, and how to make appropriate vent adjustments.
  • toomsdpt
    toomsdpt Posts: 141
    Options
    Thank you all for your advice. Sounds like I can reduce my stress level by simply putting the plate setter on at the beginning, while the fire is heating up to 250.

lesson learned.
  • Frank from Houma
    Options
    You are wise grasshopper :)

Good luck eggin