Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

NY Strip and DP rub

Options
egret
egret Posts: 4,171
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
The last time I did a T-Rex NY Strip, I coated with Olive oil and sprinkled DP Cow Lick Steak Rub on both sides. It turned out fantastic except for the problem of the DP "bunching up" during the cook. I remember someone mentioning this some time back but don't recall the outcome, or solution. Is there a solution?

Comments

• egret
    Options
    Sorry about the poor choice of words regarding this issue. What I'm trying to describe is, the rub, instead of being evenly distributed over the surface as it was prior to cooking, is in "spotty clumps" and much of the surface is devoid of any sign of the rub. Cheeeez! This ain't easy trying to describe this. I'm going to do another one shortly and this time I'll take a pic.......
    Unless, of course, someone comes to the rescue before I apply the olive oil and DP.

• RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,920
    Options
    John,
    I just sprinkle it on using the holes in the container's lid in a back and forth motion to make it level. I do not "rub" it which could be causing the uneveness.

• Standbell
    Standbell Posts: 42
    Options
    egret,
    Just did one this evening, complete with DP Cowlick. I gave the steak a bath in olive oil, then covered it witrh a fairly generous portion of the DP Cowlick. Covered the meat in plastic wrap, and let it set for about 3 hrs. at room temp. The DP, seems to " melt" into the surface of the steak. Then T-Rex. MIne was 1.5" thick, and was done with the old fashion 4-4-3.

• egret
    Options
    RRP,
    Thank you for your response. I'll take a "before" and "after" shot and see what the result is. You may have solved the problem, i.e., I think I was trying to rub it over the surface of the steak in order to keep it from coming off while placing and turning on the grill........

• egret
    Options
    AfterCook.jpg
    <p />Thank you Ron and John for your help. I followed your advice to sprinkle rather that rub and the steak turned out perfectly. Not exaggerating, but it was the best steak I have ever eaten, and I've eaten quite a number in my lifetime. I haven't figured out how to post multiple photos yet but here is the final result before cutting :
  • mollyshark
    mollyshark Posts: 1,519
    Options
    egret,[p]Another option is to mix the oil and the seasoning and then rub it in. Rubbing it dry is gonna cause clumps depending on the moisture level in the meat.[p]mShark
  • egret
    Options
    MollyShark,
    Thank you for your response. You hit the "nail on the head" with your rubbing comment. I sprinkled the DP Cow Lick liberally without rubbing this time and it turned out perfectly. I'll be dreamin' 'bout that steak tonight.......

• egret,[p]I don't use any oil. I sprinkle Cow lick on both sides, evenly.. On one side only, I hit it with some of Emeril's "Bam" seasoning, with a lite sprinkle. I throw the steaks into the freezer for at least 30 minutes! Bam! enjoy.. ;-)

• SingleMalt
    Options
    Scottie,
    Just curious. Why do you put your steaks in the freezer before cooking. I always thought the meat should be at room temperature before cooking - unless you're wanting to smoke it.

• Single Malt,[p]I think the meat turns out better. Less chance of overcooking... I do my ABT's that way as well.

• SingleMalt
    Options
    Scottie,
    Thanks. I'll give it a try.