Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Pork Chops

Options
Austex_Egger
Austex_Egger Posts: 153
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Having a new egg is fun as everything I do is “First Time”. My better half picked up a tray of Assorted Pork chops at Sams. These are pretty thin and I have always been challenged with keeping them moist on my old gasser.

One thing I have found is that, for the most part, there is no “best way” to do things on the Egg. This forum is great for ideas, but as there are so many variations it makes it hard to decide which way to go. This time I settled on “raised grill, 400 until done”. Probably try the “Hot Tub” next time.

Prepped Chops: I kept is simple: Salt, Pepper and Sage.
101_1792.jpg

Used this lump on top of a bit of Royal Oak that was left in the Egg
101_1795.jpg

Poor mans raised grill. Put this together using 6” carriage bolts. I’m thinking it will be adjustable as a second tier for low and slow.
101_1793.jpg

Chops on:
101_1797.jpg

Almost done:
101_1799.jpg

Done!
101_1800.jpg

They came out very good. A little on the dry side, but still moist (cooked a bit too long). Even though this is only the third time I’ve used my egg, I am really seeing the need for a Thermopen. The dial one I currently have (the ones that come in the red tube) just doesn't cut it. I generally end up using the finger test.

Mmmm.... Pics show-up fine in "preview" but not when I look at the post. Are the pics coming through? Never mind... I typed up the post in Word, then copied it to the forum. Even though I did not realize it, when I copied in my pic url and pasted it between the img brackets it put a space on both sides of the url. removed those and the pics showed up.

Comments

• EggObsessed
    EggObsessed Posts: 786
    Options
    I've had my Thermapen for over a year now and I highly recommend getting one. It is worth every penny. I not only use it for grilling, but also for testing casserole temps in my oven to make sure they are hot (165 degrees) in the middle.
    Kelley 
    Egging with No Joke Smoke (Bruce), enjoying small town life in Brenham, TX., the home of Blue Bell Ice Cream.  BGEs: XL, Medium,  1 MiniMax. 36" CookRite Commercial Griddle, and a Shirley Smoker.
  • Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,674
    Options
    Kelley is sure correct. The Thermapen should be your second buy after your first egg :laugh:
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• Austex_Egger
    Austex_Egger Posts: 153
    Options
    Well, talked me into it. Just ordered one. :)
  • smbishop
    smbishop Posts: 3,053
    Options
    Thermapen was my first purchase, Maverick 732 - my second and highly recommend it.
    Southlake, TX and Cowhouse Creek - King, TX.  2 Large, 1 Small and a lot of Eggcessories.