Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Cleaning Egg

Options
Unknown
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I am at the point that I do need to clean the ashes from the space between the inner and outer shells at the bottom.[p]I don't know how to remove the top ceramic ring. How do you get a hold on it. Is there a risk of cracking it in the process?[p]Help[p]Thanks and God Bless[p]Ben

Comments

• Clay Q
    Clay Q Posts: 4,486
    Options
    Ben,
    Nope, you won't crack the fire ring. Just get your finger tips under the bottom edge after pushing the ring to one side. Lift and get your other fingers under the opposite side and remove. Lift fire box out by a firm grip around the draft door. Reverse procedure when replacing.
    Take your time, parts are heavy. Thin gloves help to keep your hands clean.
    Clay Q

• Mark Backer
    Mark Backer Posts: 1,018
    Options
    Clay Q,[p]I use the ash tool end to jimmy between the two parts, lift a little with one hand to get my fingers of the other hand under, then lift. [p]No worries.
  • Toy Man
    Toy Man Posts: 416
    Options
    I use a thin screwdriver blade or an old dinner knife blade to pry the ring up enough to grab hold of it.[p]Toy Man
  • Kyle
    Kyle Posts: 156
    Options
    Ben,[p]I have cleaned my BGE several times and have come to believe that it is not necessary to take the fire bowl out.
    My shop vac has a hose on it that will barely squeeze behind the bowl.[p]It seems to do a great job of cleaning out the ash and it certainly helps the air-flow.[p]I would suggest you try that before removing the bowl.[p]Just my 2 cents - keep the change

• Standbell
    Standbell Posts: 42
    Options
    Ben,
    I would appreciate it if you would let me know how you made out with the cleaning. My Egg is about 7 years old, seen constant use, and is now stating to not want to reach the T-Rex temps for a good steak. The fire box is cracked, which is not new news, but I'm being very cautious as to how I get the ring out, and then the box. So if possible, let me know how you did.[p]John