Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Help with my new Maverick

Options
Pjoe
Pjoe Posts: 224
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I just got a new Maverick 732. I am planning an overnight pork butt cook next weekend and need to confirm that the temp on the grid probe should be around 225*? I have two 9 lb butts.
TIA
Bill
LBGE AR SMALL BGE WOO RING

Comments

• Edemitch
    Edemitch Posts: 196
    Options
    250 will be easier to hold and won't make a difference to your cook
  • Oblio
    Oblio Posts: 53
    Options
    I shoot for 235 during the day, 245 at night. I've had to many 225 nights where the fire died. I'll also do a manual ramp mode @ 250 until internal gets to about 150 if I'm in a hurry.
  • eggsrgreat
    eggsrgreat Posts: 86
    Options
    Yep, 240 to 250's the spot. Like they said, easier to keep the fire going.
  • Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    Options
    forget the grid temp. clip the mav probe to the dome thermometer probe and set the mav at 250°. supposedly, 250 dome ≈ 225 grid, but I can't say for sure since I've never measured it - never cared what grid temp is.

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• transversal
    transversal Posts: 719
    Options
    Mike, how do you clip the grid temp probe to the dome therm Stem?? I'd like to try it, but dont know how you'd do it.
  • PhilsGrill
    PhilsGrill Posts: 2,256
    Options
    Since you really have no control over the grid temp just set the dome to 250 like everyone and cook away.
  • Capt Frank
    Capt Frank Posts: 2,578
    Options
    I don't mean to jump in on Michael, but you can just remove your Dome thermometer and stick the grid probe through the hole. What I often do is stick the grid probe down through one of the butterfly holes in the DFMT. Either way, it will hang there OK :)
  • snake701uk
    snake701uk Posts: 187
    Options
    I agree! Grid temp in most cooks is not important.
  • Pjoe
    Pjoe Posts: 224
    Options
    Thanks everyone. Makes sense. I guess i was hung up on the name "grate probe".
    Bill
    LBGE AR SMALL BGE WOO RING