Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Bend test help..

Options
2»

Comments

• Pjoe
    Pjoe Posts: 224
    Options
    Are you sure those are baby backs?
    LBGE AR SMALL BGE WOO RING
  • Austin Smoker
    Austin Smoker Posts: 1,467
    Options
    PhilsGrill wrote:
    The bend test is for a full rack of ribs, not a rack cut in half like shown in your photo I believe.

Just in case it gets lost in all the toe talk....BINGO Phil!!
  • Frank from Houma
    Options
    What Phil said - bend test works on a full slab

They look mightyfine
  • elzbth
    elzbth Posts: 2,075
    Options
    The look perfect....I like ribs too, and have been mostly hit and miss until lately. I think (at least for me) 275 is the ticket. Isn't it nice to kick back and watch the kids play? :laugh:
  • egginator
    egginator Posts: 569
    Options
    I agree 100%. You see the bending is a function of the moment. The moment for a cantilevered beam with a uniform distributed weight is M=L^2*(weight per inch)/2. So, as you can clearly see, if you cut you rack in half, you reduce the moment by 4 times - it will never bend.

Ribs look great. CWM would be proud.

Ed
  • smbishop
    smbishop Posts: 3,053
    Options
    Well thanks for clearing that up! :blink: I just won't worry about it anymore! :)
    Southlake, TX and Cowhouse Creek - King, TX.  2 Large, 1 Small and a lot of Eggcessories.
  • Grandpas Grub
    Grandpas Grub Posts: 14,226
    Options

The bend test is for a full rack, nevertheless, the bend test doesn't work for me either.

Didn't worry about the bend test on these, but it too was a 275° cook.
    ribswet1.jpg

If the ribs are cooking between 240° - 280° it doesn't make much difference to me other than done time.

Unless folks calibrate their their thermometer and or adjust for sea-level they are probably off some anyway. It also depends if the pig was raised in the valley or in the hills.

Your ribs look great, if they tasted like they looked it doesn't make a whole lot of difference.

GG
  • smbishop
    smbishop Posts: 3,053
    Options
    Wow, yours look fantastic and give me confidence that I am doing something right! :)
    Southlake, TX and Cowhouse Creek - King, TX.  2 Large, 1 Small and a lot of Eggcessories.