Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

First Post- Need brisket help

Options
Big Griller
Big Griller Posts: 3
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Hi Everyone, I have been a member for over a month trying to soak up others knowledge and have hit my first road block. I Just really started to get into smoking since I picked up my XL so still classify myself as a novice when it comes to smoking. I have a decent amount of family coming over on Saturday and even though I was extremely hesitant the consensus from them was to do a brisket.
Anyways to the question, I went down to my butcher and they had no 8-9 lbs slabs so I had to get one 5.1 lb and one 3.3 lb (all they had left). So should I put the 5 lb on a couple hours before or put them both on at the same time? Saying this out loud it seems like a very stupid question but I am not an expert on the eggs heat displacement with two pieces on the same grate. Any help would be greatly appreciated also I have a general idea on cooking time at 225 degrees but if you guys could bounce times off me I would appreciate that as well.

Thanks in advance

Comments

• skihorn
    skihorn Posts: 600
    Options
    Welcome aboard! I think either method would work. Remember, if you wrap in foil and a towel the smaller one can sit for several hours in a warm cooler while the larger one finishes.

If you only have one remote temp probe (if you don't have one, go buy one) I would put them both on the same time and put the probe in the smaller one. When it is done (around 190-195 internal) pull it off and put the probe in the larger one.

Freddie
    League City, TX
  • Big Griller
    Options
    Thanks for the response all information is very helpful
  • Feeding Frenzy
    Options
    Big Griller: There are folks here that have spent YEARS (and yes, years!) trying to get the perfect brisket. No offense, but can the wife Braise those small flats, and you make some great pulled pork? Do some pork butts! Briskets (flats) are a bee-atch. I wouldn't even attempt a brisket unless it was an UNtrimmed packer (which is usually in the 16 lb+ range). JMO. Just want to see you succeed. Crawl before you run.
  • Frank from Houma
    Options
    225 may be difficult to hold - I would use 250

Best brisket help is here:

http://playingwithfireandsmoke.blogspot.com/1996/03/brisket.html

Good luck with it
  • Griffin
    Griffin Posts: 8,200
    Options
    Second the 250.

Rowlett, Texas

Griffin's Grub or you can find me on Facebook

The Supreme Potentate, Sovereign Commander and Sultan of Wings

• Big Griller
    Options
    Appreciate the words of wisdom. I knew it would be a stretch but hey no risk no reward. Hopefully I don't have a horror story on Sunday for ya. Luckily I do live in Utah (not the biggest bbq state) and the wife's family doesn't have the greatest pallet so at least I have a little leeway with that going for me :laugh: