Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

New and need help

3jsinfl
3jsinfl Posts: 2
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
My husband and I are getting ready to buy our first green egg. We are a family of 3 nag have a few big parties a year. Is there any reason we would need the XL egg instead of the L egg. And if we got the XL will it take alot longer to cook our average family meal? Any advice would be appreciated.

Comments

• The large will definitely do you, we are a family of 4 that have several big parties every year and pull it off just fine with one large. I would suggest that a large and a small would be a good idea because an egg at a second temperature is a good thing. I'll be doing that eventually.

Doug
  • I bought the XL and am very happy. Years ago I bought a webber grill before and it was a smaller size. When I had people over I could not cook for everybody and decided that then I would be buying the biggest available, thus the XL.

I am a family of 3 right now but have people over pretty frequently, just fyi...
  • ChokeOnSmoke
    ChokeOnSmoke Posts: 1,942
    3jsinfl wrote:
    Is there any reason we would need the XL egg instead of the L egg.

You don't necessarily need an XL, it's simply a matter of preference. You can cook a ton of food on the Large. I went with the XL and am very glad I did (and my household consists of just my wife and I). I prefer the horizontal space versus going vertical. Again, just matter of preference.
    Packerland, Wisconsin

• 'Q Bruddah
    'Q Bruddah Posts: 739
    I have a large and a family of five. I have no trouble cooking enough food for us. I have smoked 4 pork butts at once and served 35 men with pulled pork and sides and still had 2 shoulders to take home. Obviously the sides were not all done on the egg, but I did do a pan of beans under the pork. Expanding with a second egg is a popular option and having the capability to cook at different temps is, of course, an advantage. If your second egg is smaller there may be some fuel savings as well.
  • onedbguru
    onedbguru Posts: 1,647
    ditto. just my wife and I and the XL - kids are grown - one even has his own XL - and he is single.
  • 3jsinfl
    3jsinfl Posts: 2
    Thanks for the advice it was a huge help
  • Turk
    Turk Posts: 114
    I have the large and it works just fine for a large group. I have fed thirty with it. I have also done 7 full slabs of baby backs at one time. It is just my wife and I on a daily basis and I bought a mini a couple of months ago. Now I do most of the cooks on that. My advise, go with the large and welcome to the bge world. :)
  • BB1857
    BB1857 Posts: 131
    I think you will get lots of differing opinions like you already have. I am relatively new the Egg world and bought a Large. I also have quite a few big parties a year and i am already thinking i will want the XL and the Med.....Damn the Egg and it's addictive powers! :P