Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Yellow cake vs pound cake

Options
LoisLane
LoisLane Posts: 94
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
If all other factors are equal (temp, plain lump, size of smoker etc) is there a noticeable difference in the amount of "grilled" flavor a regular yellow box cake mix vs a pound cake would pick up when baked on the Egg ?

I haven't checked recipes yet- so one difference that may factor in is if one style cooks longer than the other. But I guess my question is mainly: does the denseness of the poundcake make it more difficult for smoky / grill flavor to get in (or, conversely- does maybe it hold the grilled flavor better) ?

Comments

• Desert Oasis Woman
    Options
    Ms. Lane,
    I've not baked a cake on the BGE, but have tasted a couple that were EGGcellent!
    Neither had any "smoke" flavor, but they were on new EGGs during Eggfests. OOPS -- I take that back! Snoop Doggie Dog baked his great banana pound cakes on his very used small BGE at a couple of fests!! No smoke flavor was detected there, either!
    Best insurance would be fresh lump after a cleaning burn and thorough cleaning of ash (removing firebox) B)
    Happy baking :)
  • Mainegg
    Mainegg Posts: 7,787
    Options
    Do a clean burn and you will be fine. I bake on them all the time and most of the cakes are very dense and are on for almost an hour.. all good.. and it never hurts that most of them have a high booze content sauce poured over them when still warm LOL
  • LoisLane
    Options
    Thanks for the quick response.

Actually, I am thinking I WANT some "grilled" flavor in it. Not a strong meat smokey flavor, but a hint that there is something different about it / outdoorsy / came from an Egg etc. Like how plain grilled pineapple is noticeably different (better) on lump charcoal than on a gas grill. (hmmm, what isn't ??!?)

If neither style cake will pick up any grilling flavor, then I will just bake in the oven inside & keep it simple.

I did try a quickie (cheap) brownie package mix once right after we got our smoker and it didn't pick up any noticeable lump flavor, so I figured that is cuz it is stronger flavor (chocolate) to start with anyway. Now that you mention it- maybe it was cuz that was probably only our 2nd or 3rd time to use the grill. However, the 3rd or 4th time was to cook a "take 'n bake" style pizza and that definitely picked up a lump / grilled flavor.
  • Desert Oasis Woman
    Options
    Julie, send sauce and garlic :woohoo:
    How about some recipes of your sauces????????????
    thanks B)
  • Mainegg
    Options
    it will have some smoke. remember like our sense of smell when you are exposed to it all the time you do not notice it as much. also bake the day before, it seems to be more noticeable the next day.
  • Mainegg
    Options
    butter, brown sugar, heat to melt the butter and sugar and adding 1/4 to 1/2 cup booze of choice has never failed me yet. poke a ton of holes in the cake when it has cooled on a few minutes so t is still very warm and pour over it while it is still in the pan. cover lightly and let sit. ;)
  • Desert Oasis Woman
    Options
    you have leftovers?
    but you probably bake several for those hookin' circles :whistle:
  • Desert Oasis Woman
    Options
    thanks! Dog's birthday today; traditional doggie bd meatloaf dinner on Sunday (everyone back at home then) -- will have to try this :woohoo:
  • Mainegg
    Options
    you want a heavy firm cake. any pound cake type works great.. reg pound cake with about 1/2c coco added and a tsp or two of coffee to balance the extra dry. and use Kahlua YUMMY! served with a drizzle of chocolate sauce ;)
  • thirdeye
    thirdeye Posts: 7,428
    Options
    This is not really an answer to your question, but if you like cornbread, it can be mixed with yellow cake mix for a sweeter product.

Jiffy mixes have both cornbread and yellow cake mixes in the little boxes. You just combine each following the instructions, then bake using the instructions for the cornbread.
    Happy Trails
    ~thirdeye~

Barbecue is not rocket surgery
  • Mainegg
    Options
    THAT is a cool tip!
  • LoisLane
    Options
    Great tips- will experiment this weekend & bake the cake a day ahead and play with some sauces while it is still warm.
  • LoisLane
    Options
    Happy Bday to your doggie ! What kind ?

I have a parrot. Don't know her bday, but I do celebrate her "Gotchu Day". :)
  • LoisLane
    Options
    NICE ! Thanks. I am a yankee & like sweeter cornbread. Jiffy cornbread is already pretty sweet- but will look for the Jiffy cake mixes in the groc store next time.

This also reminds me of a cornbread recipe I have w/ lots of goodies in it (Brocc, I think actual corn, maybe some cheese & sour cream) I haven't made in over year. Not very waistline friendly. Will have to root around for that recipe and then try that on the Egg sometime now. :cheer:
  • Bacchus
    Bacchus Posts: 6,019
    Options
    My 7yo girl is addicted to Jiffy cornbread, and like most kids has a sweet tooth like all get out. I may suprise her with this idea.

I like the jiffy too, and it is definately a shortcut which I use often and without shame. It's great with some diced jalepeno's added too.

I also keep a couple boxes of their pizza mix on hand, for occassional quickie pie's on weeknights, etc.
  • RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,890
    Options
    I didn't read the other responses so forgive me, but why would you want a smokey cake? BTW I just egged a rum pound cake for my class last night and it was delicious - thanks Desert Filly! I'd challenge anyone to taste any smoke as there wasn't any! I never added wood chips and I let my egg get burning clean before baking.
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.