Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

a preview of the tri-tip etc. for tonight

deepsouth
deepsouth Posts: 1,796
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
i can't wait to eat tonight......

001-6.jpg

003-3.jpg

004-6.jpg

i'll post some finished pics after i cook it all!

thanks for looking!

Comments

• Tarpon65
    Tarpon65 Posts: 205
    That tri-tip looks good, wish I could find them down here. The wife and I love asparagus cooked on the egg as well. We just drizzle them with a little olive oil, salt and pepper and cook for a few minutes.
  • deepsouth
    Tarpon65 wrote:
    That tri-tip looks good, wish I could find them down here. The wife and I love asparagus cooked on the egg as well. We just drizzle them with a little olive oil, salt and pepper and cook for a few minutes.

i do mine the exact same way. love grilled asparagus.

i don't know where you live, but they don't put them out down here. i have to ask for them and then it's about a 30% chance i'll get one. today i got lucky and got two!
  • Le Oeuf Vert
    Le Oeuf Vert Posts: 512
    Looks like someone is going to have a good meal tonight.
  • Capt Frank
    Capt Frank Posts: 2,578
    Looks terriffic, Enjoy! :cheer: :cheer:
  • Austin  Egghead
    Austin Egghead Posts: 3,966
    I Egg'd and ate sooo much at the Holland Corn i din't think I was hungry...until now.
    Don't forget the post cook pics.
    Large, small and mini now Egging in Rowlett Tx
  • Charles;
    FYI; We have Publix cut them for us all the time here in Jacksonville, Fl
  • elzbth
    elzbth Posts: 2,075
    You are off to a great start! ;)
  • Eggsakley
    Eggsakley Posts: 1,019
    Just finished corn and asparagus myself. Can't beat the flavor of the egg on veggies. Soooo much better than steamed or simmered.
  • Mr Holloway
    Mr Holloway Posts: 2,034
    That is going to be a good meal Jason
    Look forward to the finished pics :)

Shane
  • deepsouth
    this was the toughest steak i have ever eaten.... majorly disappointed. and i have another in the refrigerator i don't even know what to do with....

006-4.jpg

008-4.jpg

009-4.jpg

010-3.jpg
  • transversal
    transversal Posts: 719
    Tri Tips one of my favorite cuts, Jason. Hope they come out good.
  • Morro Bay Rich
    Morro Bay Rich Posts: 2,227
    To start with, it appears you cut it with the grain, a definite No-No. This will always lead to tough tritip. Next time watch the grain. You will notice it changes direction. ALWAYS cut against the grain.
    If it is really tough, cut it up and use it for chili.
  • deepsouth
    Morro Bay Rich wrote:
    To start with, it appears you cut it with the grain, a definite No-No. This will always lead to tough tritip. Next time watch the grain. You will notice it changes direction. ALWAYS cut against the grain.
    If it is really tough, cut it up and use it for chili.

i see what you mean, but i cut it another way as well. i'm not real sure this was cut properly. i had someone look at it and said the grain was off and it looked to be below select grade. after eating it, i'd agree.

i've cooked several tri-tips and this has been the first one that wasn't fantastic. to be honest, it really didn't have an apparent grain that ran in any particular direction. i dunno.....

edit: looked at the pics again. after that slice, i went the other direction with my slicing, so i had a slice off, but the first part was cut properly and was just tough as shoe leather.

i'm not sure what to do with this other one i have.....
  • U2
    U2 Posts: 27
    Looking at the pre-cook pix---it looks like a bad tritip...ie zero marbeling.
    It looks like you cooked it perfectly---just a bad cut of non-marbeled beef IMO
  • GirlyEgg
    GirlyEgg Posts: 622
    i was thinking the same thing... looks a little like eye round... marinating may help... I'd probably roast on the egg then crockpot it into thinly sliced roast beef...
  • Tarpon65
    Tarpon65 Posts: 205
    I'll talk to my Publix about cutting me a few. Thanks for the recommendation.