Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg at:

Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #EGGhead4Life.

In Atlanta? Come visit Big Green Egg headquarters, including our retail showroom, the History of the EGG Museum and Culinary Center!  3786 DeKalb Technology Parkway, Atlanta, GA 30340.

How much pork but for 35 teenagers

skihornskihorn Posts: 600
edited 4:47AM in EggHead Forum
Our church youth group is coming over next weekend for swimming, skiing, tubing etc. I was going to feed them pulled pork with hamburger buns and at least one side dish. There will probably be about 35 or so ranging in age from 11 to 18. How many lbs (pre cooked) of pork but do I need? If your suggestion includes buffer, please indicate. Because whatever I think I need I will do more, especially since the number of 35 is just a guess. EDIT: Sorry about the spelling in the thread title. I don't know how to edit the title. It could lead to an interesting interpretation.

Freddie
League City, TX

Comments

• CrimsongatorCrimsongator Posts: 5,795
    They may eat big especially after tubing and playing. My usualy rule is 1/3-1/4 lb of finished product per person. in this case, I would bump it to 1/2 lb and that would in some wiggle room in case an extra 10 show up.

35 people at 1/2 lb = 17.5lbs of finished product.
    At 40% shrink 17.5/.6 = 29lbs raw product.

In case a few extra show up, if you figure 1/3 lb per person the same meat would feed 51 folks.
  • skihornskihorn Posts: 600
    Thanks!
    Freddie
  • outrageousoutrageous Posts: 752
    if they can eat, like i could when i was young.... go for the higher estimate from gene.... heck, i may be the only one that was banned from those all you can eat fish deals at howard johnson's. :woohoo:

Large egg and mini max egg plus a Blackstone griddle

South Ga. cooking fool !!!!!!!!

I know what you mean. I had a hollow leg when I was a teenager! I ate my parents out of house and home once I hit about 13.

Freddie
    League City, TX
  • Capt FrankCapt Frank Posts: 2,578
    35 teenagers?? 35 lbs!! :laugh: :P :woohoo:
  • WingRiderWingRider Posts: 326
    is there enough pork butt in the world to feed 35 hungry teenagers!!! :woohoo:
  • gdenbygdenby Posts: 5,653
    Yeah, at least half a pound. My youngest, in his early twenties wiped out a half pound of cooked brats the other day. With sides.
    It is a good thing I have three Eggs!

Freddie
    League City, TX
  • RRPRRP Posts: 21,359
    just trying to help you - you edit the subject line the same way as you edit the text - however if someone replies to your original post before you edit the subject the original spelling whatever in that subject line carries on. clear as mud? :laugh:
    L, M, S, Mini
    Ron
    Dunlap, IL
    Re- gasketing AMERICA one yard at a time!