Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Last Sunday's cook: Churrasco Fajitas! (pic heavy)

Rezen73
Rezen73 Posts: 356
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
a wee late, but damn it's been a busy week! We just got our doggie out of quarantine on Wednesday! :D

Anyway... so last Sunday, we had South American style (Churrasco) Fajitas with Chimichurri, lots of sides, and homemade tortillas (was inspired by Florida Grillin' Girl!)...

First, I made the chimichurri sauce/marinade.

Ingredients: freshly chopped parsley & cilantro (pain in the butt removing the stems!), red pepper flakes, oregano, marjoram, olive oil, and red wine vinegar... and of course salt & pepper.

IMG_5713.jpg

quick run through the blitzer:

IMG_5714.jpg

Finally made it down to the local butcher. Must be pretty good, the place was PACKED, we were all like sardines!

Got two skirt steaks (and some pork fat back), and smothered the skirt steaks with the chimichurri sauce...

IMG_5716.jpg

I reserved some chimichurri ... this stuff is good! :D

IMG_5717.jpg

Ingredients for the shrimp marinade ... scotch bonnet, freshly chopped ginger, a few cloves of garlic, some cilantro, and lemon. mmmmm good stuff.

IMG_5718.jpg

The shrimp take a dive in the marinade:

IMG_5719.jpg

Made some pico de gallo too ... chopped tomatoes, white onions, red onions, cilantro, lime juice, garlic, jalapenos, S&P...

IMG_5721.jpg

Also guacamole ... 2 coarsely chopped avacados, red onions, cilantro, zested/juiced lime juice, and garlic...

IMG_5722.jpg

Julienned cabbage:

IMG_5723.jpg

Thinly sliced baby radishes:

IMG_5725.jpg

Thinly sliced English cucumber:

IMG_5729.jpg

For the tortillas, I based my version on a recipe that I found on a blog called "Homesick Texan" ... seems fitting, since I'm a homesick Texan in Scotland! ;) Main difference, I used lard that I rendered last Saturday, instead of vegetable oil.

Tortilla dough balls, resting:

IMG_5731.jpg

Tortillas, rolled out and ready to go on the griddle. I know, why didn't I cook them on the egg? Crap reason, but honestly, I ran out of time. I need another egg!

IMG_5732.jpg

On the griddle, just starting to bubble:

IMG_5733.jpg

Nice and fluffy... these were so good, that we made another batch the next day. The recipe only makes 8, and they were gone the next morning. lol

IMG_5736.jpg

Tortillas all done!

IMG_5734.jpg

Skirt steak churrasco on the egg:

IMG_5737.jpg

Skirt steak churrasco, after flipping:

IMG_5741.jpg

Shrimp done. Cooked these in a cast iron skillet on the egg. Took about 2 or 3 minutes. Notice the one giant shrimp ... wish they were all that size. So juicy and plump. :D

IMG_5738.jpg

Skirt steak churrasco done:

IMG_5742.jpg

Churrasco Fajitas & Grilled shrimp with chimichurri, pico de gallo, guacamole, and homemade tortillas, plated:

IMG_5744.jpg

Extremely yummy meal, will definitely make again! :D

Comments