Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Chicken and ribs indirect same day????

Options
markd
markd Posts: 3
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Hi...I just got my egg and am so fired up...I was thinking after reading all the forum posts....If I wanted to indirect cook both chicken and ribs on the same day...could I cook them all together until the ribs are done at 250 degress and then take off the ribs and crank up the heat to 400 and cook the chicken for another 30 mins or so???? if this doesnt work any other suggestions how I could do both same day?

Comments

• JCO
    JCO Posts: 49
    Options
    Using the 3-2-1 method on the ribs, they'll take about 5 hours. A whole chicken takes about 7 hours (smoked). So, you can either start the chicken earlier to end them both at the same time, or just eat the ribs and save the smoked chicken for later (like a Jambalaya or something).
  • Da Kine Green BBQ
    Options
    Here is something to consider - when you cook chicken at low temps - the skin can get rubbery. I like to cook chicken in-direct - but at about 300 to 325 at dome temperature. Ribs - not so hot, at 250 degrees.

But the other, more **practical** concern should be - cooking things that are similar in temperature and time to doneness.

For example, do a rack or 2 of ribs and a tritip roast at the same time......

OR - do something that can use the same temps and technique with radically different times, like - direct grilling chicken and corn at the same time.

2010_07_12102.jpg

Corn takes a while, but depending on the cut of the chicken, the meat will go faster......

Not sure if this helps or complicates things.

Good luck, practice and experiments will be the way to discover how to do things.

Post pictures of what you're cooking!!
  • markd
    markd Posts: 3
    Options
    thanks alot everyone...gonna try tomorrow so we'll see how it goes!