Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Maverick ET-7

Options
Krapshooter
Krapshooter Posts: 18
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Found what I think is a good price on a Maverick ET-7 remote wireless thermometer ($32.25). Does anyone have any experience with this product or suggestions for a wireless thermometer?

Thanks in advance

Comments

• Austin Egger
    Austin Egger Posts: 256
    Options
    Get the Maverick et 732. It works great! The probes can with stand more heat and there are 2. Isn't there only 1 on the 7? Anyhoo, I like mine a lot. You can find them online for about $59
  • SmokeyPitt
    SmokeyPitt Posts: 10,490
    Options
    I would suggest one of the following:

-Maverick et-73 for just a couple of bucks more. It has 2 probes- one for the smoker and one for the meat. This is only a few bucks more:

http://www.amazon.com/Maverick-Industries-RediChek-Wireless-Thermometer/dp/B0000DIU49

-Maverick et-732. This is the newest version of the "remote smoker" thermometer. It has a longer range, probes rated at a higher temp, and some other advantages. It is $60. I fried the temp probes on my et-73. It was user error, but I used this as an excuse to upgrade to the et-732. My $.02 would be to pay the extra and go for the et-732.

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

• Grandpas Grub
    Grandpas Grub Posts: 14,226
    Options

DON'T DO IT!!!

Spend a few extra dollars and get the ET-732

ET-7
    . transmitting was max 15' direct line of site.
    . many malfunctions
    . no alarms
    . 2 food probes only

Just take my word for it and don't do it, mine is on the shelf and I ended up buying the ET-73 and then the ET732 which is a nice unit.

• Krapshooter
    Options
    Thanks for the input guys! I don't want to mess around. Won't be buying the ET-7
  • Scottborasjr
    Scottborasjr Posts: 3,494
    Options
    I have been agreeing with GG a couple of times the last few days, but I would also say that before you get a remote thermometer, get a thermapen. A good instant read is worth so much. Really don't think you need the remote unless you are gonna take a nap. That being said, I do have the et-73, want to get the upgrade. ;)
    I raise my kids, cook and golf.  When work gets in the way I'm pissed, I'm pissed off 48 weeks a year.
    Inbetween Iowa and Colorado, not close to anything remotely entertaining outside of football season. 
  • Grandpas Grub
    Grandpas Grub Posts: 14,226
    Options

I really like the 732 but the thermapen (not substitutes) is a more valuable tool and if I could only ave one, it would be the thermapen.

The best advcie I have received from the folks on the forum was to cook to temperature, use time as a guide. Having the thermapen I can nail those temperatures. Thus my cooking on and off the egg has improved greatly.

Good suggestion Scottborasjr

GG