Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Do I need to mop my butt?

Options
achtungpv
achtungpv Posts: 39
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Put my first ever butt on last night at 8pm. Light coat of mustard and some John Henry Cherry Chipotle rub. Dome at 250.

My question is, do I need to mop it? I read conflicting information on the forum.

If I do, what do I mop it with? I have Elder's recipe eastern NC sauce I made last night available. I also have apple juice on hand.

Comments

• stike
    stike Posts: 15,597
    Options
    Mopping adds flavor, but doesnt do anything for retaining moisture
    ed egli avea del cul fatto trombetta -Dante
  • Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    Options
    I never have. But then, I would never use mustard either. :)

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• thirdeye
    thirdeye Posts: 7,428
    Options
    DSC00536a-1.jpg

No, you don't need to. But if you want to add some additional flavor, help control the color and keep the surface moist during parts of the cook.... go for it.

I haven't used an actual BBQ mop in years, except when cooking in a large pit. A spray bottle is quicker and gives an even coating of the basting liquid. I usually add some oil to my liquid. I wait 4 or 5 hours before spraying, then do it 2 or 3 times in the next 12 hours. Below is the finished shot of the two butts above.

DSC00539a-1.jpg
    Happy Trails
    ~thirdeye~

Barbecue is not rocket surgery
  • EddieMac
    EddieMac Posts: 423
    Options
    Not unless it's dirty....lol

Season it up....smoke it....pull it....eat it!

eddiemac