Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Fidel... A Pizza Question for you

Options
Spring Chicken
Spring Chicken Posts: 10,255
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I was looking over your pizza crust recipe and read your suggestion to use spring water because, "Spring water is important for proper mineral content, taste, and lack of chlorine. Chlorine is a natural enemy of the yeast and is purported to inhibit the proper rise."

What you say makes sense. What we get out of a faucet isn't 'water' it's just a water-based chemical product labeled 'fit for human consumption.'

As a kid I drank water from springs wherever I found them but in today's world I'm reluctant to do it.

So where do you get your spring water? Is it, perhaps, bottled spring water? Two or three brands around here use spring water, but then filter it really well before bottling it. They do not add chlorine or other chemicals. I'm not sure if the natural minerals are removed in the filtering process,

As usual, I will look forward to your reply.

Spring "Chemically Treated" Chicken
Spring Texas USA

Comments

• Village Idiot
    Village Idiot Posts: 6,959
    Options
    Why don''t you get a Brita (or similar brand) filter for your tap water? That removes chlorine and other vile ingredients. If you really want to be cool (like me), do rainwater harvesting. :laugh:

Dripping Springs, Texas.
    Just west of Austintatious

• Spring Chicken
    Options
    But then I would have to go buy a Brita, or to be cool, buy and install a huge tank to collect the rain water from rain that never comes.

I've already got some spring water in my Coop Frig.

Life is much simpler when you've already got what you need.

Spring "Simple Is A Good Thing" Chicken
  • Fidel
    Fidel Posts: 10,172
    Options
    Any bottled, filtered, or 'natural' spring water will work.

This is really more important when using natural yeasts like a sourdough starter than when using the commercial stuff in a packet. The chlorine and fluoride are enemies of the yeast and will not prohibit their activity but will affect it to some degree.
  • Spring Chicken
    Options
    Thanks...

Spring "Just Cluttered My Brain With More Knowledge" Chicken