Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Reheating ribs

Options
The Naked Whiz
The Naked Whiz Posts: 7,777
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I'm cooking baby back ribs for work and the schedule is such that I'm cooking them today, and then I'm reheating them at home in the morning and taking them to work. Here's the plan:

1) Ribs come off in 45 minutes. I'll slice into 2 bone pieces and put them in a big aluminum serving tray and cover them with foil.
2) I'll refrigerate the tray tonight.
3) H hour is 11:30. It takes 30 minutes for me to get to work. So, the ribs should come out of the oven at 11.
4) I will heat them in the oven at XXX degrees for YYY minutes.

Please give me a suggestion for XXX degrees and YYY minutes.

thanks!
The Naked Whiz

Comments

• gdenby
    gdenby Posts: 6,239
    Options
    Umm, how many grams of ribs "ZZZ"

And:

I don't have either the heat transfer coefficient (HTC) or the heat transfer modulus (HTM) for ribs handy. Can U supply?

:lol: Couldn't help it :lol:
  • tach18k
    tach18k Posts: 1,607
    Options
    Well, 200 till you cant pick them up
  • loco_engr
    loco_engr Posts: 5,765
    Options
    Can't help you your questions :(
    but, when is the best time & method to refrigerate cooked food?
    Cover & cool to room temp before refigeration?
    aka marysvilleksegghead
    Lrg 2008
    mini 2009
    XL 2021 (sold 8/24/23)
    Henny Youngman:
    I said to my wife, 'Where do you want to go for our anniversary?' She said, 'I want to go somewhere I've never been before.' I said, 'Try the kitchen.'
    Bob Hope: When I wake up in the morning, I don’t feel anything until noon, and then it’s time for my nap
  • FlaPoolman
    FlaPoolman Posts: 11,677
    Options
    350° about 15-20 minutes covered
  • The Naked Whiz
    The Naked Whiz Posts: 7,777
    Options
    Well, neither do I. :laugh: I have 4.5 slabs in a single aluminum serving pan. The slabs are cut into 2 bone portions. The pan is full.
    The Naked Whiz
  • Little Chef
    Little Chef Posts: 4,725
    Options
    TNW: Please allow the ribs to cool down a bit (maybe half an hour) at room temp for a bit, then put in the fridge UNcovered. Once they are chilled, then cover with saran or foil. The key is to chill food as quickly as possible, then worry about moisture loss/covering. So if they're already in the fridge, please uncover until chilled. (They stay in the danger zone too long if you trap the heat)
    As far as the reheat, I would suggest about 350* for about 30-40 minutes covered in foil. Toss em around a bit to make sure the ones inside get reheated, too. (technically they should be reheated to 160*).
    I am sure everyone will enjoy!!

Always remember (and this applies to every reheat situation): Rapid Chilling + Rapid Reheating = Safe Eating ( a Little Chef haiku ;) )
  • cookn biker
    cookn biker Posts: 13,407
    Options
    Nice. ;)
    Molly
    Colorado Springs
    "Loney Queen"
    "Respect your fellow human being, treat them fairly, disagree with them honestly, enjoy their friendship, explore your thoughts about one another candidly, work together for a common goal and help one another achieve it."
    Bill Bradley; American hall of fame basketball player, Rhodes scholar, former U.S. Senator from New Jersey
    LBGE, MBGE, SBGE , MiniBGE and a Mini Mini BGE
  • BobinFla
    BobinFla Posts: 363
    Options
    OK, I (think) I understand all of that. :unsure:

But...

The way I usually chill is to seal the meat in a plastic bag (either Zip-Lok, or if I am at home, FoodSaver) and then plunge it into a cooler with a slurry of ice and water. I am guessing that this would chill the meat much faster, and all of the moisture would still be (at least) in the bag. Maybe I'm missing something? I hope not.

BOB
  • Little Chef
    Little Chef Posts: 4,725
    Options
    Bob: The ice bath is one of the ideal situations! We use blast chillers in the industry. You are doing good! The key is just to get it chilled as quickly as possible, which the ice bath will certainly accomplish! Even when saving a pork chop or chicken or whatever, and just using a zip lock (and an ice bath is overkill), I leave the zip lock open when placed into the fridge, then once cool, I seal it. Great thinking on your part!