Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg at:

Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #EGGhead4Life.

In Atlanta? Come visit Big Green Egg headquarters, including our retail showroom, the History of the EGG Museum and Culinary Center!  3786 DeKalb Technology Parkway, Atlanta, GA 30340.

Last of the firehouse cooks!

fire eggerfire egger Posts: 1,124
edited 11:48PM in EggHead Forum
Well after 24 years, I have set my retirement from the fire department for June 17th. Anyway, this relates to Egging beacause over the past few years, I have been providing my crew with egged goodies on weekends and holidays. Memorial day was my last holiday to work, and yesterday was my last weekend, so I tried to do it up, spares on Memorial day and brisket yesterday. they have been a good crew, and the good news is one of the young guys is a pretty good firehouse cook, and has shown a lot of interest in getting an Egg, so I may have passed the torch. Sorry for the long post, here's some pics!

Checking the ribs (hats not department issue)
028-7.jpg
031-4.jpg
033-4.jpg
035-4.jpg
037-5.jpg
040-5.jpg
043-3.jpg

and now the Brisket, sorry about the pic, camerafogged up
014-2.jpg
025-4.jpg
027-5.jpg
Thanks for lookin'
Have a good day y'all

Comments

• eenie meenieeenie meenie Posts: 4,392
    Kendell, here's wishing you a wonderful retirement! :)

I am sure you will be sorely missed by all in the fire department. Only good thing is that they will all loose about 20 lbs. :lol: :lol: :woohoo: It was kind of you to go out of your way and egg those delicious ribs and brisket for your last cooks. They are most fortunate that you may have passed the torch.
  • SheepDogSheepDog Posts: 176
    Kendell thank you for your many years of service, hope you enjoy every second of your well deserved retirement! Looks like you'll be plenty busy with cooks on the BGE.
  • Clay QClay Q Posts: 4,435
    Awesome cooking! Congrats on your retirement!!! :cheer: Now there will be more time for you and the BBQ. :P
  • ZymeZyme Posts: 180
    Congrats on the well-earned retirement!
  • BeliBeli Posts: 10,751
    Congratulations Kendell on a well deserved retirement from such an important job. Even though you are far away i thank you for your service since the firemen's merit is international. I can see the guys were really busy with your cook, didn't even look up for the photos :laugh:
  • Grandpas GrubGrandpas Grub Posts: 14,226

Congratulations Kendell, enjoy those last days. A lot of fun ahead of you.

Kent
  • Photo EggPhoto Egg Posts: 5,595
    Very cool Kendell, congrats on the start of your new life.
    I don't believe I have ever met a Fire Fighter who could not hold his own on a grill.
    I'm sure you will still stop in with meal every now and then.
    Take care,
    Darian
    Thank you,
    Darian

Galveston Texas
  • Charlie tunaCharlie tuna Posts: 2,191
    After a few months you will have extra time on your hands and plenty of calls from "hungry" crew members requesting your food.. I totally agree -- "never heard of a fireman who couldn't cook good barbque" !! But some, like you, are just better than others.......
  • Mr HollowayMr Holloway Posts: 2,034
    Congrats on your retirement
    I am sure the guys are going to miss that great looking food :)

Shane
  • MaineggMainegg Posts: 7,787
    Kendell, Congrats on the retirement and boy are they going to miss you!! great looking ribs and brisket too!
    the entrance to our park in FL has a fire house and we try 2-3 times a winter to get a nice feed of pulled pork up to them.. they say it does not last very long LOL and they always are happy to be the ones working when we bring it in to them :)
  • Congrats Kendell! Maybe you'll have even more time to cook on your Egg than before :P Enjoy retirement.
  • fire eggerfire egger Posts: 1,124
    Thank you Rebecca, maybe I can lose twenty also! :laugh: :laugh: I am going to miss all of them to, great bunch of people!!
    Thanks Sheepdog! It's been a really fun and rewarding career!
    Thanks Clay!! Actually I am going to work for the state Department of Emergency Management, but I will have nights, weekends and holidays back, havent had that in a long time.
    Thanks Zyme!!
  • FiretruckFiretruck Posts: 2,678
    Congrats Kendell, I know those guy's are gonna miss that good cookin. What you gonna do now?
    Thanks a lot Beli. It has been fun and very rewarding, I'm thankful I was able to something that cool for a living.
    yeah, the guys say you can tell how good the food is by how quiet the table gets!!
    Thanks Kent!! I am looking forward to the change, gonna miss it though!
    I hope y'all are doing well.
    Thanks Darian!! I live just a mile from the station, they have already said they plan on bringing meat by on the weekends for me to smoke!!
    Thanks Shane!!
    Thanks Charlie, credit goes to the Egg and firefighters appetites!! :laugh:
    Thanks!!
    thats very cool that you do that, we have a few neighbors in town that bring us stuff, It's always good to know that folks care about what we do. Now that I am a citizen, I'll need to start doing that!! :)
    Diggen the handle!!, hopefully so, thanks!!
  • Bobby-QBobby-Q Posts: 1,993
    Awesome job. I know your community thanks you for all you've done but I bet your hose mates thank you even hardier!
    Hey JoJo, I am going to work for the state department of emergency mangement. I'll be the fire/EMS coordinator. I'm looking forward to the change, gonna miss the guys!!
  • Dimple's MomDimple's Mom Posts: 1,740
    Congrats on your retirement and good luck in your next phase! Pretty sure, though, that just because you retired doesn't mean you have to stop bringing food by the station. :laugh:
  • JLOCKHART29JLOCKHART29 Posts: 5,897
    Congrats on making the trip! Well deserved retirement. I'm sure the guys are going miss ya for more than the wonderful cooks. ;)
  • DnormanDnorman Posts: 117
    Congrats, man. Are you sure those hats aren't department issue, I am sure they would be totaly safe when fighting fires.
  • Spring ChickenSpring Chicken Posts: 10,117
    From the looks of the 'bone yard' in front of that one guy, your replacement is going to have his hands full keeping up with the demand.

Enjoy your retirement. You earned it.

Spring "Rib Bones Connected To The Chew Bone" Chicken
    Spring Texas USA
  • Egg JujuEgg Juju Posts: 658
    Grats on the retirement. I can tell by those photos you will be missed in more ways than one.
    Large and Small BGE * www.quelfood.com