Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

1st Tri-tip cook question

MeatosBanditos
MeatosBanditos Posts: 259
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I'm going to cook my first Tri-tip steak tomorrow afternoon and was curious if there are any preferred recommendations for cooking it on the egg. Should I cook it with the platesetter or without? 350 degrees or 450 degrees?

What temp should I pull it off the egg at? 145? My wife normally likes her steak to resemble a hockey puck but I'm guessing this meat wouldn't be very pleasant if it was cooked that much. Is it supposed to just be sliced like a brisket?

Thanks--
John

Comments

• Austin Egger
    Austin Egger Posts: 256
    I love tri-tip! I have cooked it several different methods. I used to cook it with a sear on both sides around 550 - 600 for 60 seconds, twice per side and then roast it at 400 until 140ish. The second method I did was just cook it at 375ish direct with the grid at the fire ring until the same temp...never taking it off for the reduction in heat. What I have done recently is semi searing it around 500 for around 80 seconds on each side and then keep it on but reducing the temp so that it ends up around 400 while flipping it regularly...always direct and never taking it off. I like this method the best because of the nice outer crust that it gives me with my preferred rub. You truly can't go wrong with this cut. Just try a method and go with it as long as you pull it at the right temp which is your desired temp. My wife likes things like a hockey puck as well but I am bringing her into reality. 140 to 145 is a good compromise between us. Good luck! ;)
  • Sounds awesome... what's up with the hockey pucks? :S

I assume it takes about a half-hour to cook at those temps? The one I have is 2.78 lbs from Costco, sitting in a marinade already.
  • Austin Egger
    I'm not sure about the hockey puck, but she doesn't like any red :S 140 to 145 has a little, so I'm making progress with her. It probably takes at least 30 minutes direct but I have never timed it. Just go to temp and you will love it!
  • Awesome! And I am correct in thinking to carve it against the grain as I would do with a brisket?
  • Austin Egger
    I cut it against the grain and a thinner cut. I've also done a thicker cut and have liked it very much. Truly, hard to mess up no matter how you do it. Definitely one of my favorite things to cook for the lbs. per cost. At $3.79 a pound in my neck of the woods (not on sale), it can't be beat. I still prefer a rib eye to it, but have never found one for as cheap as a trip tip. Have fun!
  • jdwhit
    jdwhit Posts: 15
    I love Tri-tip. Cooked one from Costco Thursday night. I cook mine at 600 for a good seer on both sides 2:0 per side then flip back to the first side to get a crossed grid marks for another 2 minutes flip for crossed marks on side two and shut the vent, and cap the egg shutting it off. leave it for five minutes. open the vent and remove the cap so it does not flair when I open it. Open the egg and take a perfect medium Tri-tip out. Let it rest for 8-10 minutes and cut it across the grain. You will enjoy it.
  • Grillin Guy
    Grillin Guy Posts: 302
    Thirdeye has a good recipe for Santa Maria style Tri-tip. You can find it here....... http://playingwithfireandsmoke.blogspot.com/1996/01/beef-tri-tip.html
  • jaydub58
    jaydub58 Posts: 2,167
    Meatosbanditos, do a search for "Sana Maria Tri-tip".
    Go to the ninth thread in the group that comes up. It gives Moro Bay Rich's method for tri-tip and it's wonderful!
    Boy, a piece of meat that close to 3 lbs. deserves the best and this cook is it!!

:P :P :P
    John in the Willamette Valley of Oregon
  • Thanks for all the great tips! I'll check out the recipe!
  • thebtls
    thebtls Posts: 2,300
    Here is a link to 4 posts on my blog about Tri Tips...Learned everything I know about them however right here on the Forum...

http://bigtsbge.blogspot.com/search/label/Tri Tip Beef

and here are three pages from my recipes. Enjoy!

Recipe-Beef-TriTip_Page_1.jpg
    Recipe-Beef-TriTip_Page_2.jpg
    Recipe-Beef-TriTip-MultipleTips.jpg

If you would like the word versions or PDF's you can email me. Keep On Eggin'
    Visit my blog, dedicated to my Big Green Egg Recipies at http://www.bigtsbge.blogspot.com You can also follow my posts on FaceBook under the name Keep On Eggin' or the link http://www.facebook.com/#!/pages/Keep-On-Eggin/198049930216241
  • Thanks for the link and all the recipes!