Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Quest for best baby back rib recipe

Options
Unknown
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Amateur here looking for the best baby back rib (juicy and fall off the bone tender) recipe. I've talked to a few BGE veterans who boil or pre-cook in oven, but wanted to hear from the eggsperts. Do you pre-cook and then put on the BGE, or just slow cook in the BGE. Many thanks for responses and I look forward to trying your recipes. Happy Easter.

Comments

• WessB
    WessB Posts: 6,937
    Options
    vango,
    Firstly, I seriously doubt you have talked to ANY egger that said they boil or pre cook ribs in the oven....simmply not necessary, aint gonna happen,naddaa naddaa...there are hundreds of techniques and recipes for cooking ribs...the "BEST" is an absolute personal opinion....any of the recipes you find in the "submitted recipe" section of this forum would be excellent, I have my favorites on my website in the "cooks" section..many others have their personal favorites on their websites and or have posted them here on the forum..all are great, what you decide is your favorite is just that....your favorite.....with that said if you want fall of the bone ribs, I would suggest you try one of the "3,1,1.5" recipes which use foil during the cook or a variation of said cook...most prefer a rib that doesn`t fall of the bone but rather pulls cleanly from the bone..HTH..and I hope this doesn`t come across like I am trying to sound negative...try searching this forum with google...[p]Wess

[ul][li]WessB`s[/ul]
  • Car Wash Mike
    Car Wash Mike Posts: 11,244
    Options
    vango,
    You are going to get many different ideas. You need to try and modify to fit your needs.
    When really wanting to impress,[p]I get 3 slabs, remove membrane, lather with mustard and rub wrap in saran wrap and set in fridge overnight. Add a little more rub in the morning.
    bb3slabs.jpg[p]Get egg up to 225-250 and cook indirect with apple wood for 3 hours. After 3 hours, I wrap in foil with apple juice/ bbq sauce mixture for at least 1 hour but usually 1.5.[p]ribsinfoil.jpg[p]I then take off and finish indirect, saucing if needed.[p]Ribs3pk.jpg[p]CWM

• Mark Backer
    Mark Backer Posts: 1,018
    Options
    WessB,[p]Great call on your 3-1-1.5's. I do a variation that's 3-1-.5 with sauced during the last half hour, and the whole thing's indirect at 250.[p]However, last weekend I got an eye opener. My brother in law and I split nine slabs and marinated them all overnight in ginger ale. We both decided to leave the membrane on, and I did the 3-1-.5 where I flipped every 45 minutes during the 3 hours, blah blah blah. [p]He, on the other hand, set the egg to 250 with the platesetter, put them on, after two hours he flipped them, then he went to the lake to de-winterize the boat. He returned about two hours later, flipped them again, about 90 minutes after that, he took them off, put them on a platter, and served them. They were dry instead of wet ribs (dry as in no sauce), and they were as great as I (and other attendees) thought mine were. [p]So you see, not only are no two recipes the same, sometimes less effort is more.[p]Just my two cents...
  • Fisheyes
    Fisheyes Posts: 40
    Options
    Mark Backer,
    I 100% agree with the 3/1/1.5 method. I did a slab from the Fresh Market last week (very very thick) and they were the best ribs that I have ever had. I used a combo of Dizzy Pig Swamp Venom and Dizzy Dust. Amazing.[p]Brad

• WessB,
    Thanks for the advice, I will give one of the 3,1,1.5 recipes a try. Can't wait to taste them. Happy grilling.