Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Humming Birds

Options
field hand
field hand Posts: 420
edited November -1 in Off Topic
Could be I missed the thread, but have been watching for the spring reports on humming bird arrivals. Our April was cool and wet in this part of Missouri, not very inviting for humming birds or local residents. They arrived slowly, but we now have 4-6 at any given time. Still very scrappy even thought there's 8 feeding stations. Fun to watch. Just wondering how the count was in other areas.

Barry
Marthasville, MO

Comments

• RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,897
    Options
    constant action in central Illinois at our single feeder which I first put out May 1. Yesterday was the third time I have refilled it so that tells me we have more hummers than usual.
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,776
    Options
    have hummers here as well as the camp in maine, have a tiny black/purple one this year, never seen one so dark or small. a pair of orange oriole have taken over one feeder, never knew how noisy those are :laugh: we never seem to get more than 2 or 3 unfriendly antisocial yankee hummers, let the war games begin :)
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • RRP
    Options
    This little guy was crazy over his reflection in a window doing constant mortal battle with himself.
    IMG_2177.jpg
  • Spring Chicken
    Spring Chicken Posts: 10,255
    Options
    One came through a few weeks ago, stopped a few times at our feeders and left. Haven't seen him since.

Our largest number is in the fall. Then we get about 20 at a time fighting for the feeders.

This was taken in September 2009. Wild and crazy birds.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YrXasHzMXKY

Spring "Hummer-Watcher" Chicken
    Spring Texas USA
  • Cpt'n Cook
    Cpt'n Cook Posts: 1,917
    Options
    We have been getting some for over 2 weeks now.
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,776
    Options
    anything inside near the window with color, i had one a few years ago that wanted a glass red chili pepper i had hanging on the window latch
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • field hand
    field hand Posts: 420
    Options
    Thanks for all the reports. Sounds like the hummers are on schedule. We really enjoy them except when they get in the garage and can't figure how to get out. Thanks again.

Barry
    Marthasville, MO
  • Spring Chicken
    Spring Chicken Posts: 10,255
    Options
    The first one that got lost in the garage was really getting aggitated with me trying to shooo him out. Then I tried a different approach, I closed the garage doors and turned off the lights gradually. The bird then found a place to roost. I used a flashlight to see by and walked over, picked him up and took him outside. No struggle at all.

The second time, I just stopped moving around and held my arm up with my finger out. He flew straight to it and I walked him outside. Pretty cool.

Might try one or both methods next time.

Spring "Beddie Bye" Chicken
    Spring Texas USA
  • RRP
    Options
    I love that image! A gentle giant of man with a tiny hummer on his finger. Kindness comes in many sizes!