Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Beer

brownbw
brownbw Posts: 154
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I've mostly cooked with apple juice/cider in my drip pan, but haven't ever tried beer. Anyone ever try it? I have some leftover beer from a wedding I was at last night and wanted to use it for that. (the better beer will be consumed). Or might I try spraying with beer?
Opelika, AL

Comments

• PhilsGrill
    PhilsGrill Posts: 2,256
    I'm sorry but what would burning up perfectly good beer do in a drip pan? No need to use any drip pan in the egg.
  • civil eggineer
    civil eggineer Posts: 1,547
    A drip pan is needed whenever you are cooking indirect! Liquids in the drip pan are not necessary and only suck heat away from your cooking. The egg cooks in a sauna type environment naturally and adding liquids to keep food from drying out is not necessary.
  • PhilsGrill
    Huh? Did you post that correctly? ... a drip pan is needed... then not needed?
  • stike
    stike Posts: 15,597
    And adding liquids or moisture doesn't keep meat from drying out anyway :whistle:

That said, if you want to try to keep drippings from burning, you can certainly add beer or other liquid to your drip pan. But it wont add any flavor or keep the food from overcooking

Spritzing with beer or juice will add flavor. I don't know if i would use beer though. Maybe apple juice instead.
    ed egli avea del cul fatto trombetta -Dante
  • Bacchus
    Bacchus Posts: 6,019
    I use a drip pan for many indirect cooks, but don't think a liquid would serve any purpose. If the drippings burning in the drip pan bothers you, elevate it slightly on 3 small balls of tin foil.
    Also, I personally don't care for anything cooked with beer.
  • jaydub58
    jaydub58 Posts: 2,167
    I always put a drip pan under my meatty, fatty cooks. Then I put beer in myself while it's cooking.

:woohoo: :woohoo:
    John in the Willamette Valley of Oregon
  • PhilsGrill
    +1 or 2 on that!
  • Botch
    Botch Posts: 15,432
    I would think beer, juice, or cider steam could have just as much effect on the meat's flavor as smoke does.
    Hmmm.

Stand Back, I'm going to try Science!!!!

"I mean, I don't just kill guys, I'm notorious for doing in houseplants."  - Maggie, Northern Exposure

• SheepDog
    SheepDog Posts: 176
    Botch steam is merely water, smoke is an entirely different beast.