Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

How much chicken

Options
Manfred
Manfred Posts: 186
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
How do you figure on how much chicken(leg,thighs)to cook for a big group of peopl? There will be achoice of 2 sides. the group will be mix adults and children. thank for all and any help.

Comments

• NibbleMeThis
    NibbleMeThis Posts: 2,295
    Options
    If you google BBQ cater spreadsheet you will find several tools for getting specific numbers for crowds.

Here is an example: http://bbq-review.com/planner/catering306.xls
    Knoxville, TN
    Nibble Me This
  • 'Q Bruddah
    'Q Bruddah Posts: 739
    Options
    Manfred-- it would help if you define your terms. A "big group of peopl" is how many? Groups, even big groups, come in different sizes. Also it would help to know what your sides are. Is this a green salad that can be made ahead or while the chicken is cooking or beans that will fight for space on the egg?
    On a large egg I would tend to cook birds vertically to conserve space. Are you intending to spatchcock? Are you cooking direct or indirect?
  • Manfred
    Options
    ok this is round numbers 150 people
    sides will be potatoe salad beans
    they want legs and thighs
  • 'Q Bruddah
    Options
    Hey, Manfred, I would stick close to Nibble's chart. That said, unless you have multiple eggs and multiple levels at your disposal and real hands on experience this is beyond the weekend egger, IMO. Chicken, enough to feed 150 people, served at safe temps, with potato salad and beans also at safe temps, fixed by more than your hands (hopefully) is a big bite to chew. I didn't say it couldn't be done but 18 years in the restaurant business says this has a lot of moving parts, if you catch my drift. jus' sayin'
  • Crimsongator
    Crimsongator Posts: 5,797
    Options
    Easy, go buy as many leg quarters as you need. Everyone gets one thigh and one leg. I would suggest 175 of them just to err on the side of caution.
  • Little Chef
    Little Chef Posts: 4,725
    Options
    I am with Q Bruddah here...This isn't your typical weekend get together. What are the logistics here? What refrigeration, or food holding areas do you have available to you? Are you cooking a la minute (as needed at the last minute)? Or going to need to reheat? There is a lot more to feeding 150 safely than meets the eye. Are you feeding them all at once, or in stages, etc...
    To your original question, typically a quarter of a bird is sufficient for most, but I would definately allow extras for heartier appetites. But again, this is a lot of food to ensure all food safety issues are met. Glad to help if you need additional info.
  • Manfred
    Options
    Yes I did look at the chart and it was good information. We have alot of hands to help out and we have a walk in cooler. like you said there is a lot of moving parts in this cook. That why I ask the question on this sight. I know people have the information I need. So I going to pass on this cook and stay with my small groups at church. Just cooking my 3 or 4 chicken for evening service. One reason the people ask me to cook using the eggs because they know how good it going to taste. So thanks everyone for all the good information. the day is a good day when you learn something. thanks.
  • 'Q Bruddah
    Options
    Manfred-- I think you have made a wise decision. Knowing when to say no is a valuable skill many of us learn late(r). I worried that I was being a wet blanket but the more I thought about it the more worried I got. You are proposing three danger foods- chicken, potato salad and beans that all have potential spoilage issues with regards to safe temps. Cooking and holding and serving that quantity of food takes organization, equipment and expertise. It is possible to do by cobbling it together and somehow skate by and nobody gets hurt. But the potential isn't worth it. At the very least the P.I.C.(person in charge) needs to be trained.
  • Manfred
    Options
    I Have learn many years ago while in the Army. If don't know ask those who do. I thank you very much for sharing your wisdom. Maybe I will call on you for information for another task in the furture that you can help me on. No wet blanket.
  • 'Q Bruddah
    Options
    Manfred, I would be honored to help you. I am all about trying to get people to try new stuff like bread baking, dutch oven cookery and now eggs. Just give a shout.
  • Manfred
    Options
  • Hoss
    Hoss Posts: 14,600
    Options
    To answer the question.One leg quarter per person.You already have all the other info you need.Good advice from Q Brudda and LC.I cooked 20 pounds on a Weber Ranch Kettle just to have something different for folks that did not want pulled pork at a BBQ.The next time they wanted the main meal to be chicken.I fired up my offset and cooked 60 pounds(all that would fit)and it is a 250 gallon propane tank conversion..About 72-75 quarters. Good thing I had 3 butts for backup Chicken for a "Big" crowd is a Royal P.I.T.A. ;).The crowd I cooked for was about 100-110 people. You made a good decision.PASS.