Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

"Pittsburg Style" Steaks

Options
Unknown
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
In the beginning of the Big Green Egg Cook Book, they mention a "Pittsburg Style" for cooking steaks on the Egg. Unfortunately, I can't find anywhere in the book where they tell you how to cook steak this way. Anybody out there who can tell me? Thanking you in advance for your help, I am,[p]Sincerely yours,[p]Dr. Snore

Comments

• Spin
    Spin Posts: 1,375
    Options
    Dr. Snore,[p]The "Pittsburg" style of cooking represents the far end of rare steak cooking. The ultimate "Pittsburg" being a bleeding charred steak.[p]This cook requires very high temps (1000+F) and very short cooking times. On your Egg, the steak MUST be very close to the coals to achieve the goal.[p]Spin

• Tim M
    Tim M Posts: 2,410
    Options
    Spin,[p]I think you can also achive the Pittsburg char by omitting the dwell time and just searing it to perfection - even at 700 deg. I often do mine at 5-5-2 on the large Egg at 700 deg. I might try a 6-6-0 to see what that would do. My filets are usually 2" thick too so they are still pretty pink inside - not rare though. [p]Tim