Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

I'm falling off the Wicked Good wagon

Options
NotabuttDave
NotabuttDave Posts: 181
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I have 4 bags left of my 6 bag stash. The last bag had very large chunks. So large, 6 would fill the egg to the top of the fire ring.

And, it seems like I am accumulating a lot of grape sized pieces after the fire is out. The grape sized pieces compact and don't allow air to flow properly.

The very large pieces don't have enough surface area to develop a hot fire, and they can create cool spots on the grill.

By feeling the remaining bags, I think they all have big chunks.

Bummer, back to RO at Wally World.

Anybody else?

(venting officially over)

Comments

• Photo Egg
    Photo Egg Posts: 12,110
    Options
    The larger pieces can be broken into smaller pieces very easy. I know you should not have to do this but I use a very small hand ax or chipper. Seems like every brand has a bad bag at times.
    Don't give up on the Wicked. They have been tops for many years.
    Thank you,
    Darian

Galveston Texas
  • Village Idiot
    Village Idiot Posts: 6,959
    Options
    I switched to R.O. a couple of years ago, and have been pleased with it. The Wicked Good had too large clumps for me.

Dripping Springs, Texas.
    Just west of Austintatious

• Mainegg
    Mainegg Posts: 7,787
    Options
    we just break up the big guys and save the smaller stuff for the mini :)
  • FSM-Meatball
    FSM-Meatball Posts: 215
    Options
    I have found the same, that Wicked Good has alot of very large chunks, which seem to work better for Low and Slow cooks so I set most of the aside. However, if you need smaller chunks, you can easily break them up with your hands or a hammer.
  • NibbleMeThis
    NibbleMeThis Posts: 2,295
    Options
    I ran into that and I just took a hammer to the large lumps while the bag was still closed up.

I didn't get a second shipment. I know a lot of folks like it and use it regularly, it's just not my favorite.
    Knoxville, TN
    Nibble Me This
  • NotabuttDave
    NotabuttDave Posts: 181
    Options
    Well, call me picky, but if I pay a premium price, I expect a premium product.

Instead of a bag of charcoal, I bought a charcoal kit!

Just remove the coal, make a big mess, and there you go.

I guess I'll save it for smoking my butts and ribs.

Too bad.
  • dtc
    dtc Posts: 24
    Options
    I stopped using it because it is just too smokey. My local source said he has heard that from a lot of people. He says Wicked Good just cannot source the wood they want. Back to BGE for me. I have not located a local source of RO American - north of Boston.
  • Eggsakley
    Eggsakley Posts: 1,019
    Options
    Last bag of R.O. I purchased at Wally's had about 15 feet of bailing wire and the rest was lump the size of golf balls. I'll take Wicked any time over that. My current bag of R.O. seems to be much better than the previous one, but I like W.G. better. :)
  • stike
    stike Posts: 15,597
    Options
    rounds hardware, in stoneham. American RO.
    ed egli avea del cul fatto trombetta -Dante
  • dtc
    Options
    Thanks. I give it a try.
  • dtc
    Options
    Thanks. I give it a try.
  • deepsouth
    deepsouth Posts: 1,796
    Options
    i'd rather have a bunch of large pieces than a bag of crap, which it seems has been the case lately with the winn dixie bags i've been forced to buy....
  • 'Q Bruddah
    'Q Bruddah Posts: 739
    Options
    So its kinda like Cracker Jack with a prize in it?
    :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    Just take the Montvale ave exit off 93 N. take a right at the bottom of the ramp and the street goes straight to Rounds Hardware.
    (If taking 93 S, same directions except take a left)

easy to get to.
  • Sundown
    Sundown Posts: 2,980
    Options
    I've been with WG since the mid to late '90's and haven't used anything since getting my first bag of Competition Blend (a moment of silence if you would).

When they couldn't get the mix for CB any more they brought us Weekend Warrior. Pretty dang good stuff in my book. Not Competition Blend but better than any thing else out there.

I've complained several times to them about the BIG PIECES and the boss lady offered to come down and use my head to make the BIG PIECES smaller. (In jest of course . . . maybe)

If you want to be frugal, sift the ashes and save the nuggets then, when you build a new base with THE BIG PIECES sprinkle the nuggets on the top. Works pretty good. I figure I've saved close to 6 full bags over the years sifting nuggets. ;)

PS They do make a briquette which burns HOT A HELL although it does leave a bit more ask because of the binder they use. But, nothing like Kingsford briquettes!